ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech shopping tips

<< < (4/4)

johnk:
One buying philosophy rarely fits all things. For most stuff, I stay well behind the curve and patiently await 'bargains'. For a limited number of items, I buy the very best I can afford. Things that really matter. In my tech life that means:

- computer monitors (always good iPS monitors)
- audio speakers (hi-fi system, not computer)
- espresso machine (hugely over-engineered for domestic needs. Will outlive me. A daily joy to use)

Renegade:
- espresso machine (hugely over-engineered for domestic needs. Will outlive me. A daily joy to use)
-johnk (May 22, 2011, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

This was one of the first things I bought when I got to Australia~! Its importance cannot be overstated! :)

http://www.breville.com.au/beverages/espresso/programmable-espresso-machine.html

By my third double-espresso cappuccino, I'm pretty wired.  ;D

steeladept:
Really?  I have only seen charging from corporations that really don't WANT to deal with it but are forced to.  I know our municipality holds regular collections free of charge
-steeladept (May 21, 2011, 11:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup! Here's the handy-dandy infographic my town has so helpfully :-\ provided it's residents:
 <image removed>
They do have two "hazardous waste" days per year where you can bring the usual stuff (pesticides, lawn & pool chemicals, small propane tanks, non-latex paints and thinners, etc.) in for free disposal. But they won't accept electronic components or devices. The only exception to their "no electrical items" rule is dead car batteries.
-40hz (May 22, 2011, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, we have something similar from our waste management group.  That is why they brought in the electronics recycler through.  I am still stuck on the batteries and light bulbs, however.  We have plastics picked up weekly, along with most metals (though I keep them and recycle them at the local scrap yard myself) and we have multiple HAZMAT dropoffs throughout the year for paint, oil, etc.; but the batteries and bulbs are a real bind if you are to follow their strict guidance.

As a side note, I asked the waste management official what we SHOULD do with these items.  Guess what his answer was?  "Pitch them in the trash.  We are more worried about corporate disposal of these items."  So much for concerned citizens...  Now I only buy rechargable batteries.  They are slightly more hazardous, but they are reusable for quite a while and therefore reduce the overall hazard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version