ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Superboyac's backup strategy revisited (revised for 2011)

<< < (3/4) > >>

JavaJones:
I've heard good things about Oops!Backup but haven't tried it myself.

- Oshyan

ilovekonoka:
I think Oops Backup is very good and it seems quite fit for superboyac's plan. I've been using it for quite a while and it has saved me a few times. I set it to backup every 1 hour if there are any changes, and keep older versions for up to 3 months. My whole data is about 50GB and the total backup size is now about 150GB.

I'm showing some usage statistics below if that can help

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]
[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]
[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

phitsc:
But how can you ever name a professional product Oops!Backup :o

Armando:
Oops Backup has some issues (mostly space and RAM issues). I don't know if they've been ironed out, but you can do a search for related threads.

I agree with others about imaging. Good for OS backup, with versions, etc. but not so great for everything else.

If you remember, I posted about my own strategy a while ago (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1999.msg58886#msg58886). It hasn't changed much as my requirements are still the same.

1 a- Sync my ALL my files (not the OS) frequently (everyday) to 2 different 1TB hard drives.
   b- Versioning of everything**
(I use Syncback for that. Was using bvckup, but still waiting for some issued to be ironed out to go back to it)

2 a- Backup off-site : means that I "send" away one of my hard drive elsewhere once a week (I just swap harddrives -- parents keep it in their house.),
   b- I also use Spideroak as an extra cushion monitoring work stuff I absolutely can't loose (where even an hour would be super annoying). I don't need to have absolutely everything synced using some "online plan" -- just a few folders.

3- Image my OS once a month (and keep versions)... or as needed.

** I Archive file versions on older hard drives (those who got too small) or DVDs.

All this takes some thinking, but not that much.

It's extremely easy to maintain and cheap. The only thing I check once in a while is if Syncback is doing its job properly. And it always did/does...  :)

The only part that is a bit trickier is the off-site hard drive swapping -- I sometimes forget. But the worst that could happen if my house burnt is that I'd loose a couple weeks of probably unimportant stuff since the most important things are synced through Spideroak anyways...

Armando:
Here's the Oops!Backup  link : Spoilerhttps://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=22243.75

I re-read parts of the thread again and it certainly didn't convince me to try oops again. They'd really need to work on some of the mentioned problems... For smallerish files, it should be okay though.

===

It's interesting for me to see how I tried so many options during the last few years and just went back to my original "no fuss" solution -- full proof, simple, efficient. The only things I added to the mix are online syncing ingredients like SpiderOak (not always completely reliable unfortunately...).

I don't think I'll come back to that "backup struggle" until next summer, when I'll need extra storage... Way too time consuming... Need to get some stuff done!!!!  :'(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version