ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need proxy software to capture outbound http requests

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
The other thing you could do is set up a caching web proxy server and direct all network DNS requests through that. An examination of the logs would tell you what people were looking at.  But that would likely require it's own machine for best results.

As skwire mentioned it may be possible to do it on your gateway device too. Most have the ability to maintain a log of whatever network activity they handle. Usually you just tell it what you want to monitor along with the IPAddress of the admin machine on the network you want to send the data to.

But maybe it's easiest and best to just tell them all Internet use is monitored and not worry about productivity unless it obviously needs improving.

Also important - get legal advice before you start monitoring employees if they didn't have to sign a paper saying they were aware monitoring could be taking place when they started working for you. It's a legal grey area in some places. And in some states there's rules for what can be monitored, what notices need to be given, and how you're allowed to go about it. The rules vary from place to place, so do get a professional opinion before you start watching people.

Just my 2ยข  :)

wysocki:
skwire:
I have a switched network, but I don't really need to see the traffic real-time - logging it would be fine on whatever pc. I have a low end Dlink router as the gateway currently and it doesn't do any logging of traffic. Guess I don't really understand what a proxy is well enough, but it's sounding like this is a dead end for me.

40hz:
Yeah, the standalone server would require a bit more tech and cash too. I'll check around to see if I can find some used router that could log the traffic though. These volunteers must know that they're being watched somewhat because we used to always go around to the pc's at night and re-enable their history tracking!

skwire:
The other thing you could do is set up a caching web proxy server and direct all network DNS requests through that. An examination of the logs would tell you what people were looking at.  But that would likely require it's own machine for best results.-40hz (May 18, 2011, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a low end Dlink router as the gateway currently and it doesn't do any logging of traffic. Guess I don't really understand what a proxy is well enough, but it's sounding like this is a dead end for me.-wysocki (May 18, 2011, 07:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've run a Linux-based router as my gateway device for over a decade now.  Something like this would replace (or supplement if you're using wireless) your Dlink device and they don't take much of a computer to run.  Almost any old box you have laying around would do; mine is a PII 350 from ages ago.  =]  I currently use Smoothwall Linux and it has a built-in proxy you could use.  Heck, it can even run that proxy in transparent mode so you wouldn't have to do any configuration on your employee computers.  In other words, they wouldn't even know they're going through a proxy. 

Stoic Joker:
Sounds like it would be simpler to just lock the machines down via group policy. The IE clear history tab can be removed from internet settings. There is generally no good reason for letting users have the permissions necessary to install alternative browsers.

-and/or-

Go low tech ... Create, circulate and post a network AUP - costs what $6 for package of paper? First few times people get pulled aside to have to explain their actions...should deter the rest quite nicely.

40hz:
+1 w/skwire on Smoothwall. It's a great solution. I have several clients using it. It's easy to set up and use. And it doesn't require too much hardware to run effectively. Highly recommended. And the price is right.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version