ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Need proxy software to capture outbound http requests

<< < (3/3)

Ehtyar:
I used m0n0wall for quite a while at home, I found it had a nicer interface than Smoothwall and has lower requirements.

I'm currently using pfSense at work, and it works wonderfully. Tons of features and installable packages, based on FreeBSD.

Ehtyar.

JavaJones:
pfsense on one of these babies is pretty sweet. We used them at 4 different locations at my last job. Only problem we had was with some VPN flakiness that came down to a particular security setting that we had to disable (just a minor security feature - the underlying encryption remained).

- Oshyan

40hz:
pfsense on one of these babies is pretty sweet. We used them at 4 different locations at my last job. Only problem we had was with some VPN flakiness that came down to a particular security setting that we had to disable (just a minor security feature - the underlying encryption remained).

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 18, 2011, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

pfsense is also an excellent option, and probably a better choice than Smoothwall at this point if you're willing to put a little effort into "grokking" what is a much more powerful security product. Time well spent IMO. We plan on moving our clients who have not subscribed to their ISP's managed router/firewall service over to it in the near future whenever possible.

There's an excellent 4-part tutorial/how-to for pfsense over at SmallNetBuilder's website. The fourth part gets into logging and may have eactly what you're looking for. You can find the first part of the series here.

Note: SmallNetBuilder  :-*  is an excellent resource, so spend a little time browsing it when you get a chance. It's perfect for someone in your line of work. Highly recommended.  :Thmbsup:

----

Another solution you might consider if network security is a concern  is something called Untangle. I've waxed poetic about this product before so I won't repeat my earlier comments. There is a very capable free version available, and non-profits can subscribe to the full version at the same discount rate offered educational institutions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version