ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Automatic document creation. How?

<< < (2/8) > >>

JavaJones:
Yeah, I was assuming here that, due to the use of InDesign, the aesthetic quality of the output is important to some degree. Otherwise I'd just recommend a good automated test generator dealy, of which there are many.

- Oshyan

Target:
difficult to say without knowing what you have in the way of source files, and or how much (and could be I'm talking through my hat here), but i suspect you could set something up in word, ie use a macro to merge randomised text into a template...

superboyac:
There's a category of software called 'test generators' that will do some, but probably not everything you're trying to accomplish here. Their primary function is to generate random tests based on your selection criteria (random, weighed by subject, difficulty, etc.) from a pool of questions. Most have export options to word, PDF, and other formats. They're fairly utilitarian - so the output, while very legible, may not be up to what you're looking for if you're using InDesign. Most text publishers get around this by doing a formal "pretty typography" textbook and then include a less polished looking test booklet. Most customers for test review products don't seem to mind.

One program that's popular is PrimeExam. I had a client who did corporate training that used it. It seemed to get the job done.

A Google search for "test generator" will net you a selection of similar programs to explore.

Framemaker is an excellent program for creating large structured documents as JJ mentioned above. It's similar to InDesign, but the underlying product philosophy and workflow methodology is different enough that there will be a learning curve. Framemaker isn't a particularly difficult program to use. But it's also not a program that's easy to use correctly and effectively unless you put the time in to understand what it's about.

:)

-40hz (May 18, 2011, 01:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Boom! Thanks.  I just read a little about Framemaker and it sounds like it is meant for what I have described above.  I love the idea of "elements" and structured documents.  That's exactly what I want.  I'm going to play around with it.  Cross my fingers!  (I may have to learn xml a little bit, oh well, I've been avoiding it for years anyway, might as well jump in eventually)

superboyac:
Yeah, I was assuming here that, due to the use of InDesign, the aesthetic quality of the output is important to some degree. Otherwise I'd just recommend a good automated test generator dealy, of which there are many.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 18, 2011, 01:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, you are correct.  We are very picky with the presentation of our printed material.  That being said, it's not a terribly complex layout.  It can very accurately be considered a technical document, I just don't want it to look like an ultra boring journal-style layout (Latex anyone?).  We've chosen our fonts carefully, I have a discussion here about Helvetica and stuff.

I find this whole market of desktop publishing confusing.  And from my experiences, I can attribute it mostly to marketing jargon.  Like, it doesn't make sense to me that a certain program is good with typography.  What the heck does that mean?  To me, it means "stuff with fonts".  Why one program is better at it than another is a little confusing.  What is there to do with fonts?  They have a size, color, weight, character spacing (kerning), etc.  And all the programs can do that, even Word.

I get so frustrated reading about any software these days other than the cheapy stuff like $20 shareware.  For some reason, all the cheap stuff have no problem explaining exactly WHAT THE PROGRAM DOES.  Anything more than $100 has a very hard time telling me, in a concise manner, what the program actually does.  Here's my favorite example, Primavera:
http://www.oracle.com/us/primavera/index.html
Oracle has acquired Primavera Software, Inc., a leading provider of Project Portfolio Management (PPM) solutions for project-intensive industries.

Primavera offers best-in-class solutions focused on the mission critical PPM requirements of key vertical industries including engineering and construction, public sector, aerospace and defense, utilities, oil and gas, manufacturing and high tech, and IT and services.

Primavera's PPM products, together with Oracle's project financials, human resources, supply chain management, product lifecycle management, business intelligence, and infrastructure software are expected to provide the first, comprehensive Enterprise Project Portfolio Management solution. This solution is expected to help companies optimize resources and the supply chain, reduce costs, manage changes, meet delivery dates, and ultimately make better decisions, all by using real-time data.
--- End quote ---
Primavera is primarily known as the ultimate SCHEDULING program.  The word "schedule" doesn't appear anywhere on that page.  It's nonsense.  It's all marketing jargon.  It drives me out of my mind.

Renegade:
Primavera is primarily known as the ultimate SCHEDULING program.  The word "schedule" doesn't appear anywhere on that page.  It's nonsense.  It's all marketing jargon.  It drives me out of my mind.
-superboyac (May 18, 2011, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1
Yeah... The ability to communicate is pretty rare. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version