ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

What's with all the blank lines in emails recieved from Outlook users?

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
How come whenever I recieve email from people who use Outlook, there are so many blank lines?  It's pretty annoying.  It's not even just double-spaced, sometimes there are 3 or 4 lines between actual lines of text like this:

----------
Hi,

When are we going to

the movie tomorrow?

Thanks,

Jim
----------

What the heck is wrong with that program?

mouser:
could it be that they are writing it in html style,etc. and you are viewing it in plaintext mode which is adding the spaces? ive seen this before - annoying; maybe there is an option to remove double blank lines..

superboyac:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's it.  But why does it do that?  It's one of the most annoying things about using email.  I'm a plain text guy when it comes to email, I don't have a lot of patience for all the formatting and stuff, I mean, all we're doing is talking to each other, it's not a freakin presentation.  But to each his own...still, that Outlook spacing is ridiculous, especially when you hit reply and you get that > symbol on a ton of blank lines.  Sometimes I find myself manually going through and deleting the blank lines in my reply, then I ask myself "why am I even bothering to do this", then I get mad at myself for being so anal, then I get mad at Outlook for making me like this, then I get just cranky at software in general.

Take a chill pill...yes, I know.

equinexus:
This happens because when you are composing email in Outlook and the format is HTML, every time you hit enter, it adds a paragraph break; i.e. it adds a </P> and starts the next line with a <P>. If you then view the resulting message in Outlook, it looks fine, but when viewed in Gmail, Yahoo!, etc., etc. those </P> tags are converted to extra line breaks.

The only solution is for the person composing the message in Outlook to hit Ctrl+Enter instead of just Enter; Outlook then inserts a standard line break (<BR> tag) instead of a </P>.

The other solution is for Microsoft to FIX THIS... that will probably be a long wait.

superboyac:
This happens because when you are composing email in Outlook and the format is HTML, every time you hit enter, it adds a paragraph break; i.e. it adds a </P> and starts the next line with a <P>. If you then view the resulting message in Outlook, it looks fine, but when viewed in Gmail, Yahoo!, etc., etc. those </P> tags are converted to extra line breaks.

The only solution is for the person composing the message in Outlook to hit Ctrl+Enter instead of just Enter; Outlook then inserts a standard line break (<BR> tag) instead of a </P>.

The other solution is for Microsoft to FIX THIS... that will probably be a long wait.
-equinexus (May 15, 2009, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
seriously, it's so annoying.  Now that most email programs can handle html, it's not as bad.  But people need to relax with the fancy formatting in email.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version