ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

functional C# class/component to upload to my DC space via explicit FTP over TLS

<< < (5/10) > >>

mouser:
Yeah, I'm very desktopApp-centric in my thinking, because that's all I've every done.  It would be better if the server did it all.  Is there some sort of free desktop app that I could use in conjunction with developing such a script, just to test the script and know that it will work once uploaded to a server?
-kyrathaba (May 14, 2011, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

What you should do is install a "LAMP" bundle on your local pc, and which will let you do and test all your web development initially on your desktop.

I don't know which package people currently recommend for windows, but one is XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html  which is probably a good option.

The most confusing part is actually getting setup and just getting started.  After that you will probably find web coding highly rewarding and invigorating.

mouser:
Run don't walk to your nearest bookstore or online retailer and buy yourself a book on PHP/MYSQL.  One i like is http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Web-Development-4th/dp/0672329166/ but any one that grabs your attention will do.

kyrathaba:
Okay, I'm convinced. 

Unfortunately, this is going to mean delaying releasing this app.  What I really want to do is spend some time in the next few weeks working through the Stage 2 C# assignments in the Programming School.  But now it looks like I'll have to break away long enough to figure out how to do the PHP I need for Highscores submission, collating, and reporting in a webpage.

Shouldn't be that hard, once I understand the syntax of PHP.  Basically, each 'highscore.dat' file just contains a single line of text, such as these three examples, and the program splits them into 'highscore' and 'userWhoAchievedThisHighscore' using the semicolon character as a delimeter:

10500;mouser
8755;kyrathaba
12200;worstje

When it saves a 'highscore' on disk, it encrypts it first, so the user(s) of the game can't peek.

kyrathaba:
So, how would this work, mouser?  I have to get some PHP working on XAMP, then submit it to you for proofing/approval, and then it goes in some special directory on the DC server?  Or can the script run within a subidrectory of my own DC webspace?

mouser:
Or can the script run within a subidrectory of my own DC webspace?
--- End quote ---

You can just upload the php files and access and test them from the web, no special permissions or work needed behind the scenes for php.  you are going to be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to start writing server scripts that do interesting things.

The only thing you WILL have to eventually have us do is create the initial database for you on the server.  after that you will be able to access it and modify it from your scripts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version