ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD Drives - something to consider before taking the plunge

<< < (3/8) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I moved swap, Desktop, Documents, Music, Movies, Downloads, and all but a couple games to the 1.5TB HDD. Anything that I was concerned about that had a cache location option got moved (game patch files, Second Life game cache, etc). Temp stays, main user folder stays (just full of virtual folders pointing to the moved ones anyways), AppData stays, etc. As it stands, I have Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (7.84GB) on the SSD and still have 3.33GB free (of 29.8GB).

Dormouse:
Those of you who have made the jump - did you tweak windows so that the often written folders (cache, virtual memory files, temp folders, user folder) are on another drive or did you just install as normal?
-iphigenie (June 14, 2011, 05:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
I shifted these. As much to save the space as the write limitation.

steeladept:
As it stands, I have Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (7.84GB) on the SSD
-wreckedcarzz (June 14, 2011, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
How appropriate.  :P

Re OP:
I haven't looked recently, but given the price difference and the reliability, why not look at 10k RPM disk drives if the speed is that important?  More reliable, very fast, and about the same price IIRC (at work so I can't check actual pricing).  I find 7200RPM drives with lots of size options perfectly fine and very cheap for my desktop, but I have been thinking of going with either SSD or 10k RPM drives on my next build.  Currently leaning toward the 10k drives, but since the build isn't that near yet, things may change.

wreckedcarzz:
As it stands, I have Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (7.84GB) on the SSD
-wreckedcarzz (June 14, 2011, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
How appropriate.  :P
-steeladept (June 14, 2011, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

mouser:
According to this talk, you are wasting your life if you don't own a SSD: http://www.livestream.com/oreillyconfs/video?clipId=pla_3beec3a2-54f5-4a19-8aaf-35a839b6ecaa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version