ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SSD Drives - something to consider before taking the plunge

<< < (2/8) > >>

Deozaan:
$560 for 240GB?
I can't afford to throw away that kind of money every 200 days or so.
-Deozaan (May 12, 2011, 05:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

But he's not throwing the money away. There is an advantage to things failing within the warranty period. -Dormouse (May 12, 2011, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. I suppose it's like buy one, get 4 free.

Even still, if I had enough money to buy two of those, I could instead buy a very nice desktop computer.

Daleus:
I'm sorry, but I think the salient point for me in that guys post, is that he tried to explain a technical issue via an episode of a trashy sitcom.

I can't trust that kind of knowledge.  I'm in the "..not buying a new drive twice a year" crowd on this one. Don't care if they are 5 bucks a pop, I want reliability and in his list of how many days 'til failure, only one unit appeared to last more than a year, with many of them failing far before that.

Sorry, I'll wait the extra few nanoseconds which my brain can't recognize anyway, for longer more reliable storage.  While there are applications for a fast storage solution, speed isn't everything and in fact it's mostly nothing.

phitsc:

While there are applications for a fast storage solution, speed isn't everything and in fact it's mostly nothing.
-Daleus (May 13, 2011, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have to disagree there. While I'm not sure what you're referring to with 'fast storage' I am of the opinion that there are quite a few 'applications' for fast file access. And speed in this respect can mean lots of $$$ (and efficiency and motivation ;) )

wreckedcarzz:
Reviving the thread here, but I figured I'd mention it:

I have a Corsair Nova V32 installed in this computer, and there were mixed reviews on NewEgg about it: some were saying it had been running great, others (about 5 out of several pages of 10 each) were saying around the 9-12 month mark, it was crapping out. I was shopping around for a while before I decided to chance it. I went down to the local Fry's Electronics (not wanting to wait for shipping) and had them price match it to NewEgg (saving me ~$25 before taxes). They mentioned that I wouldn't be able to give me a rebate form if I price matched, so I should do the rebate instead of price matching (saving me another $5, and it makes the store look bad to price match, as they have to document it and send it up to "corporate"). I declined and went up to pay and get my SSD, and the gal at the counter gave me my rebate form and rebate recept. I left the store paying $55 (after taxes) for an SSD going for twice as much off the shelf at Fry's, $30 more at NewEgg, leaving with more cash than expected, a thus-far reliable SSD, and a huge grin.

FWIW, I've filled the SSD (to 0 bytes remaining) several times (most recently today, actually; 7zip... >:(), and it's still going strong. I accidentally started Defraggler on it too a month or so ago, out of habit. It got about 50% done before I realized what I had started. TRIM enabled on Win7, still as fast as the day I bought it.

Link for the interested: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233122

iphigenie:
Those of you who have made the jump - did you tweak windows so that the often written folders (cache, virtual memory files, temp folders, user folder) are on another drive or did you just install as normal? Of course on a laptop there is no choice, it is all or nothing anyway, but on a multi drive desktop it might be worth it

PS: I used to do that on XP just to protect my files and settings through the regular reinstalls, but things seem more tangled on windows 7 - but when I dig in there are a lot of configuration, settings and files in the hidden folders under the user tree (put there automatically by apps), some of which would be sorely missed in case of a failure and are not easy to back up except with manual configuration (since the files are hidden)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version