ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Droid Texting - Fail!

<< < (4/5) > >>

JavaJones:
Précis! EC05. It looks like she's on an Epic too. Is it called Elite where you are or something?

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes:
Interesting question - when I was in Canada recently I received texts from a friend in Toronto but couldn't return them. We had identical Blackberry 9700 Bold phones - SMS just wouldn't work on mine they got bounced back. The only difference - mine was on a UK carrier (via Rogers) and he was on Rogers as a customer. You would have thought that since we were both connecting via Rogers it wouldn't be a problem but obviously my text winging back and forth across the big pond got tired and just cam home to complain!

The other odd thing was that standing side by side at the top of the CN Tower his phone was on 3G but mine could only get EDGE. I called Rogers and my UK teco - both said I should get 3G and neither could work out why I couldn't. I get 3G in the UK in appropriate locations.

Stoic Joker:
Précis! EC05. It looks like she's on an Epic too. Is it called Elite where you are or something?

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 11, 2011, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oops, sorry (I'm an idiot) It is a Epic.

Stoic Joker:
Interesting question - when I was in Canada recently I received texts from a friend in Toronto but couldn't return them. We had identical Blackberry 9700 Bold phones - SMS just wouldn't work on mine they got bounced back. The only difference - mine was on a UK carrier (via Rogers) and he was on Rogers as a customer. You would have thought that since we were both connecting via Rogers it wouldn't be a problem but obviously my text winging back and forth across the big pond got tired and just cam home to complain!

The other odd thing was that standing side by side at the top of the CN Tower his phone was on 3G but mine could only get EDGE. I called Rogers and my UK teco - both said I should get 3G and neither could work out why I couldn't. I get 3G in the UK in appropriate locations.
-Carol Haynes (May 11, 2011, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... this reminds me of something the production manager ran into awhile back.

He lived right down the street from a cell tower...but got lousy reception at his house. He switched carriers several times most of which claimed to have access to said tower, but...) to no avail. On the last switch he told the sales drone flat out; if this think ain't got solid signal at my house, I'll come back here and throw it at you. It didn't. However...

Being inspired by the eminent risk of personal injury ... The sales drone decided to call the branch of tech support that didn't have or need flow charts. They did an update on the phone that changed how the phone logged/listed/analyzed/interacted with the towers (I forget the details). It seems apparently, as these clowns buy and sell each-other every 5 minutes...That the phones don't (or can't) actually keep up with what is or is not their network. So they occasionally need to be given an updated list of what's who's where and why. *Shrug* I always assumed that they polled actively for that kind of stuff. But apparently the list of stuff they have to actively poll for changes.

Anyhow after the update, the PM's phone accepted the tower's existence and he hasn't had a dropped call there since. So if you were traveling at the time, maybe your phone just didn't have the updated info for that tower.

Carol Haynes:
Can't see why a UK Phone would have any info for Canadian towers (or any other country for that matter). Surely it just looks at what is there? When I visited Niagara it jumped on to Bell and my carrier doesn't even have an arrangement with Bell!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version