ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Droid Texting - Fail!

<< < (3/5) > >>

JavaJones:
I have the same problem sometimes on my Samsung Epic (oo, a common thread!) and even more so now that I've upgraded to 2.2. While the issues with using the full 10 digit number do seem to be with Android (and I'm not sure how to fix them), the inability to recognize a user account's local area code and just use/assume it's from there when not specified seems more like a carrier issue and might explain why more people don't experience this. What carrier are you with? I'm on Sprint...

- Oshyan

Stoic Joker:
I have the same problem sometimes on my Samsung Epic (oo, a common thread!) and even more so now that I've upgraded to 2.2. While the issues with using the full 10 digit number do seem to be with Android (and I'm not sure how to fix them), the inability to recognize a user account's local area code and just use/assume it's from there when not specified seems more like a carrier issue and might explain why more people don't experience this. What carrier are you with? I'm on Sprint...

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 11, 2011, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

(Sprint yes) Me too. And I'd of loved to jump on the carrier issue band wagon. But the wife and I got our phones at the same time. And both of which are through the same newly created company account. My Windows phone works flawlessly ... The Droid, not so much. If it was a carrier issue both should be failing. Non of the rest of the staff has complained *Shrug* So I gues they're working.

JavaJones:
Well, what I meant was that while android may be handling phone number issues incorrectly, that may be unnoticed by users on other networks if the network has features to figure out if the text is intended to be within the user's home area code. WinMo is obviously handling this correctly, which also shows no issues regardless of carrier. So yes android is doing something wrong, but Sprint may also be.

- Oshyan

Stoic Joker:
Well, what I meant was that while android may be handling phone number issues incorrectly, that may be unnoticed by users on other networks if the network has features to figure out if the text is intended to be within the user's home area code. WinMo is obviously handling this correctly, which also shows no issues regardless of carrier. So yes android is doing something wrong, but Sprint may also be.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 11, 2011, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! A shared fault ... Nice.

Hm... So I guess the question is; does SMS actually require a 10 digit number at the protocol level? Or rather do text messages follow the exact same PSTN route, or do they have a more central (clearing house) point to go through that would/does require the area code?

And yours got worse when you updated the OS, yes? ...I'll have to see what version the wife's is running.

Stoic Joker:
Let's see how closely we match:
Phone: Samsung Elite
Model #:SPH-D700
Carrier: Sprint
Firmware: v2.2.1
Baseband Ver: S:D700.0.55.EC05
Kernel: v2.6.32.9
Build Num: FROYO.EC05
Hardware Ver: D700.0.5

Navigation

[0] Message Index