ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft buying skype for US $8.5 Billion

<< < (2/14) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I believe Microsofts acquisition is more about integration and development of voip technologies into Windows, The Office Communications platform (which is fantastic, btw), and movement to expand VOIP supporting technologies.
-Josh (May 10, 2011, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well that (Implying a cleaner business UI) Would be delightful!

Josh:
I wholeheartedly disagree, Carol. Just because MS buys this does not mean it is done for as I outline in my second posting here

Dormouse:
MS may be the best option out of the 3. I'd hate to see Skype folded into Facebook (& not sure what else they'd do with it to make it worthwhile for them). The business model behind all Google's businesses is pretty much the same as the Skype one & I think they'd make it work - but that would make it extremely hard for anyone to compete. MS's record with acquisitions is hardly positive. I assume they see a potential benefit in their cloudy ambitions & possibly with WM7 too - and that clearly needs all the breaks it can get to avoid a rapidly visible flop. But it is a very different business model to the ones that MS is used to milking and I'd be surprised to see them make it work, so I suspect Skype (as is) will decline and become no more. The one good thing with that is that Google will still be out there & will have the ability & desire to move into any space left behind by MS.

Edvard:
Since the Linux version received about as much attention as I give beetles in Mongolia, MS taking it over is simply more un-good news. :-\

On a side note, what is it with independent services getting bought up by big conglomerates?
I understand the dynamics, but isn't there anybody who refuses to sell out?
Or is that simply the name of the game?  :mad:

Josh:
Since the Linux version received about as much attention as I give beetles in Mongolia, MS taking it over is simply more un-good news. :-\

On a side note, what is it with independent services getting bought up by big conglomerates?
I understand the dynamics, but isn't there anybody who refuses to sell out?
Or is that simply the name of the game?  :mad:

-Edvard (May 10, 2011, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it is easy to say "I will not sell out"....until you see a check or cash sitting in front of you. Then, it becomes a whole new story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version