ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Hot Key Promter

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
The Input box pops up at the top left corner of the app. You can put any info you want but it should only be a line of text since the storage file alternates lines key/data key/data just a simple text file.

The Key is derived by taking the short name of the program.  As example
c:\Program Files\MyProg.exe will have the short name MyProg. I use the MS
Scripting.Dictionary object to store the key/data pairs.  The file is read on start and written on program exit.  Naturally the first time you hit the hotkey the line will be blank. Once some data is there for that key it fills in the input line.  To abort changes hit Cancel or the close 'x'.  To change the data just type in whatever and hit OK Button.

Here's what the Popup window looks like when popped up on EditPadLite editor. The input line looks a bit short but it autoscrolls.  For noting what the hotkeys are it should be ok. I can make it a bit wider if needed. I just use the default width and height at this point.

jbdonation08:
Hello MilesAhead, Firstly thank you for responding to my request I didn't expect a response so quickly. I have managed to operate your program for two out of three options, the one I am unable to get to work is the Popup Note when using web browsers for some reason  :o

My main browser is Opera 11.10 then FireFox 4 then IE9. I don't think there is a conflict of Hot Keys with these browsers as pressing (Alt NumPadSub) does not activate anything in each browser.

I Hope this is some help to you.

Thank you for your time.

John.

Edit: Alt+NumpadSub will work if I have Show Hidden Icons popup displayed. Windows 7 Home premium 32bit but the Alt+NumpadSub box is behind the Hidden Icon box in the bottom right corner of the screen and has "Explorer" in the info box and will not remember what is typed in.

Edit: Found that pressing Alt+NumpadSub works with Opera if I have opera window size decreased, however, the Hot Key Prompter is always behind opera main window and entering a short cut prompt into Hot Key Prompter is not placed into the main body of the Hot Key Prompter so no more short cut keys can be entered into Hot Key Prompter window. The same is true for fireFox and IE9 Hot Key Promter does not take focus from the browser window.

MilesAhead:
Ok thanks for the info.  I'll see if I can do something about getting the input box to stay on top.  It picks up the active window.  So if you hit the hotkey while a tray icon has the focus, it's not going to work as expected. It's only designed to work with apps that have a window showing on the desktop.

I'll see about the stay on top thing though.

MilesAhead:
I uploaded v. 1.9.  Now the Input Box pops up centered to avoid being covered.  If the short name for the active window comes up as "Explorer" nothing happens.  If the program associated with the active window comes up blank(as returned by WMI info) nothing happens. Edit: I tried adding a Beep so that you would know nothing was supposed to happen but all the beep frequencies I tried were more annoying than informative. So I just left it that nothing happens if everything doesn't go right, except for program startup errors and that type of thing.

I don't think this approach will work if you are trying to use it with Tray hotkey programs. It will work for apps with conventional windows. If you really need a reminder for all your hotkey tray apps then perhaps one of those tree editors would be better.

edit: I looked on both AutoIt3 and ahk forums and didn't see a successful technique to get the owner of a tray icon. Plus it's not always obvious if the tray icon actually has the focus.  Capturing the tooltip is not really unique as the app name isn't always used. As example Giganews Accelerator has this tooltip "Right click for menu" which hardly identifies the program. :)

Anyway, try the latest and see if it suits your needs.
If it's not that helpful and you are talking about remembering hotkeys for tray apps then something like TreePadLite may be better. I use it for general tips. You could put the program name as a node and have whatever text you want in the right panel.

MilesAhead:
For an editor to jot down notes such as hotkey reminders, it's a matter of personal taste, but I've been playing around with CintaNotes for grabbing source snippets.  It might be good also for hotkey notes since it sits in the tray all the time:

http://cintanotes.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version