ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

After PSN. Who's next?

<< < (4/7) > >>

40hz:
Nobody dismisses '"brute force" cracking techniques as being impractical any more. Today's multicore CPUs make it an extremely workable crack for most passwords people are able to commit to memory.
-40hz (May 05, 2011, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Check this out concerning brute force cracking of passwords. Was posted just recently somewhere.
-phitsc (May 05, 2011, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very cool article!

Interesting read, although some of it seems a bit optimistic, and doesn't quite match what I've seen in the field when it comes to cracking even supposedly random passwords. I'm also guessing the guy who recovered the passwords for my client used something a tad more sophisticated than a simple brute force crack tool when he did.

The security company I'm most familiar with has a 3-man team that can crack or penetrate almost anything they go up against in less than 24 hours. Admittedly, all three have hairy-scary 'spook' and 'black op' backgrounds. But this is exactly the type of team that would be sent to hit something like LastPass. These guys are white hats. But I'm sure there is comparable 'black hat' talent out there looking for work.

Definitely need to learn much more about this topic than I currently do. :)

Stoic Joker:
Check this out concerning brute force cracking of passwords. Was posted just recently somewhere.-phitsc (May 05, 2011, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very cool indeed, thanks for sharing.

To-Do List:
 Add line "this is fun" to all hacking dictionary files.

nudone:
Hmm, I'm now beginning to wonder if any password stored service is safe. This story is going to become increasingly common I suspect. Not good.

Stoic Joker:
Hmm, I'm now beginning to wonder if any password stored service is safe. This story is going to become increasingly common I suspect. Not good.-nudone (May 05, 2011, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

My guess would be no ... Unless you're using a copy of f0dder's fskrit from an online file storage.

zridling:
PSN is Sony's Playstation Network which was hacked a week or two ago. Basically, 77 million user's private data including password and possibly credit card information was stolen.-phitsc (May 05, 2011, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the follow up. Been following that story, and just as Amazon lost data last month, cloud security is hit or miss. Good thing I don't play online games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version