ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The internet in 1990 -- holy smokes!

<< < (4/6) > >>

40hz:
I don't understand your point.  Do you really want to know my degree (engineering) or are you trying to say I'm not qualified to say such things?
--- End quote ---

I'm asking what qualifies you to say such things with any credibility.

-mrainey (May 03, 2011, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Anyone with enough education to understand and interpret numbers, examine evidence, observe trends - and think - is eminently qualified to speak with credibility on economics. In many respects, that set of skills (not exactly uncommon in the general population) goes far beyond the education and qualifications of many of the elected representatives who make decisions and pass legislation on such economic issues.

@mrainy - is there any particular reason for the confrontational tone of your comment?  :huh:

Renegade:
It seems to me that every discipline has issues that it cannot address from inside, and that someone outside needs to address the issue. This is the same sort of thing Godel addresses when he talks about true propositions that are not provable within the system and another system being needed.

Computing has this problem a lot of the time when you see how developers get excited about adding features, but what users need is something else. Developers see one thing that others don't, and vice versa.

In the same way I think the field of economics/finance suffers from the same sorts of problem. (My take on it is that they're blinded by the term "efficient" [as in "efficient markets"] and seriously need to rethink their entire approach because it's not working - if it were, we'd not have a major crisis every X years.)

My qualifications are that my formal training is in logic. :D

mrainey:
@mrainy - is there any particular reason for the confrintational tone of your comment?
--- End quote ---

Actually, my original question (your degree is in .... ?) is just an expression that I've heard off and on throughout my adult life.  It was intended as a gentle "how do you know that?" sort of question.  Should have used a smiley.

Beyond that, I guess I'm just burned out by non-stop economic "plans" coming from talking heads on the Internet and TV.  Put a hundred economists in a room, get a hundred different opinions, many of them motivated more by politics than by reason.

No offense intended.

Renegade:
Beyond that, I guess I'm just burned out by non-stop economic "plans" coming from talking heads on the Internet and TV.  Put a hundred economists in a room, get a hundred different opinions, many of them motivated more by politics than by reason.
-mrainey (May 03, 2011, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

And that is the sad part... :(

40hz:
Actually, my original question (your degree is in .... ?) is just an expression that I've heard off and on throughout my adult life.  It was intended as a gentle "how do you know that?" sort of question.  Should have used a smiley.
--- End quote ---

My apologies for being such a prickly New Englander. :-[  Up in my neck of the woods, that phrase is most often used to suggest a person is clueless about the subject they're holding forth on. It's also occasionally used as a substitute for "stfu."

Different places, different meanings I suppose. :)

Put a hundred economists in a room, get a hundred different opinions, many of them motivated more by politics than by reason.
--- End quote ---

It is interesting that they call it a science. All the trappings are there: the weighty tomes, the research, the vocabulary, the mathmatical models and formulas, the institutes, the conferences, the professorships and endowed university chairs...in short, everything any other science has except accurate predictions and repeatable outcomes.

If you're a professional economist I'd suspect it's starting to get a bit embarrassing...

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version