ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

should I ragequit?

<< < (3/9) > >>

tomos:
...off.
-housetier (May 02, 2011, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks a lot

[edit] removed the unhelpful bit... [/edit]

wraith808:
The other thing that is very important to point out is the contribution *you* make to a group by holding and voicing opinions that are contrary to others.  Does any of us really want a forum here where we all agree with each other on everything?

If a group as a whole starts advancing core positions that you find morally unacceptable, and you conclude that your mere presence in the group by those that disagree is lending weight to this objectionable opinion, then resigning in protest can be an important action to take.  But it's also true that if everyone left a group every time there was a heavy disagreement about something, then every group would rapidly evolve into a collection of single-minded obnoxious bullies.  Sometimes being a voice of dissent within a family/group is an important thing.
-mouser (May 02, 2011, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is a very rationed and reasonable approach to the issue, IMO.  I hate going to forums where people 'discuss' issues, but all anyone ever does is agree.  And then it is called a discussion forum.  I want a place where I can go and discuss issues with people that have opposing views.  Not for the purpose of changing them to my view- that's pretty much impossible.  Change is an internal thing, and very personal.  But for the purpose of broadening my view, educating myself, and formulating an opinion that is not a product of a hidebound world view.  Facts speak only so much, so is only a part of formulating views on subjects.  But one of the things necessary for such an approach is to be very individually minded, and very rational in your approach to such discussions.  And I think for the most part, we have a group of people that don't find it necessary for someone else to agree with them in order for their position to have merit.  And I've found this invaluable and rare in the communities that I've frequented, as everyone wants to be heard, and no one to listen.

Your communications have been an invaluable part of the conversation, and I, for one, would hate to see you (or anyone) go over a difference in opinion.

...off.
-housetier (May 02, 2011, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks a lot

all you're proving now is that you too can be an a$$hole
-tomos (May 02, 2011, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
...not helping?

housetier:

I agree I might be a sorehead. However I was trying to make a point of not calling any names.

so, tomos, I am sorry I have offended you, it was not my intention. I did not want this to become personal, much less did I want to insult people.

However, this episode confirms my decision to take some time off and cool my head.

nosh:
Ugh... I think there might be some misunderstanding here.

Tomos, I think housetier meant to say time... (the end of your post) ...off and you took it to mean f*** off?

tomos:
Ugh... I think there might be some misunderstanding here.

Tomos, I think housetier meant to say time... (the end of your post) ...off and you took it to mean f*** off?
-nosh (May 02, 2011, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks, maybe :-[ doesnt matter now I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version