ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Pirated Software and Viruses? Ahem... No. I don't want to help you...

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
Well, like I said... more palatable.  Not entirely.  ;)

superboyac:
^Worry not. I remember it.

Or as we used to rephrase it: If you can't be with the one you truly love, please feel free to have casual and meaningless sex with the total stranger sitting next to you.  ;D
-40hz (May 02, 2011, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'll have to remember that one!

Regarding piracy, over the years I've had to check my initial emotional reaction to such issues.  It's usually a VERY defensive reaction (if I'm being accused) or a VERY judgmental reaction (if it's someone else).  That's usually a sign to me that I'm not thinking clearly about it.  The point is, it's a very gray issue and I know I can effectively argue both sides of the debate.  I think just about everyone will probably have a righteous, judgmental reaction to this stuff publicly, not realizing that they have been involved with piracy in some form or another in their lives.  So I have a really hard time taking sides on this thing.  I'm just like 40hz, if I am forced to be involved in such a situation, I'll take the 5th.  No comment.  I'm not going to formally consent to any piracy, but that doesn't mean I think I've never done so or that I'm clean as a whistle on the matter.

I was just thinking about this the other day:
I'm not allowed to video record a concert of my favorite signed artists and post it, even if only to share the rare or unique performance with others.  But...I can take a picture with the star and post it.  Where do we draw the line?  I'm not talking about the legal definitions of all this.  I'm talking from a practical standpoint.  What if the signed artist comes to my house and plays some music for me in my living room.  Can I record that and post it?

I feel all this is stifling creativity in a macro sense.  If I go off on a tangent, I can tie how this relates to a shift in society and global economics as well, but it would probably sound a little crazy at this point.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm utterly confused and frustrated about the balance between legality, ethics, and freedom at this point...just in life and America in general.  I get a little freaked out and depressed about it occasionally, like this weekend.

Shades:
Wraith was mentioning that after the programmer in question was not able to get/find a demo he would use the cracked version.

Sums up the whole problem for me. If you want to sell your software, have an easily available demo. Microsoft is generous in this regard and is actually a good example (for putting up trail versions, not the fact that they still get pirated as hell).

But hey, if you want to be "high and mighty" about your software...well, all bets are off (and you should be standing in a corner contemplating your stupidity unenlightment, if you ask me for my 2 tuppence).

wraith808:
Sums up the whole problem for me. If you want to sell your software, have an easily available demo. Microsoft is generous in this regard and is actually a good example (for putting up trail versions, not the fact that they still get pirated as hell).
-Shades (May 02, 2011, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

^ this.  But still- I just choose to buy or not based on what I've seen/heard rather than pirate.  But I do realize that this is my own decision, and try not to foist that on others.

Renegade:
+1 for shareware.

If I can't try it, forget it.

I had to bite my tongue a lot with my neighbor. I wanted to ask him if he'd help me rob a bank in trade...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version