ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The great toilet paper debate

<< < (5/8) > >>

Deozaan:
While I myself prefer the over method, I see #2 (for under) as an extremely compelling practical reason for the under method but only if you have a frequent problem with children or pets or earthquakes unraveling your toilet paper.

The poster explains the physics, but it's also harder and less comfortable on the human body (when children are the problem) to unravel the paper that way.

Really that's the only reason I can see why anyone would want to use the under method.

mrainey:
As for the unraveling argument, I think there's a little bit of an irrational fear there.  People who prefer under look at the over orientation and think "Man, that looks unstable!  It's going to unravel!  Oh no!!"  But it's really not anywhere near that bad.  I just think, practically speaking, over wins every time.
--- End quote ---

I have cats.  Over loses sometimes.

Renegade:
As for the unraveling argument, I think there's a little bit of an irrational fear there.  People who prefer under look at the over orientation and think "Man, that looks unstable!  It's going to unravel!  Oh no!!"  But it's really not anywhere near that bad.  I just think, practically speaking, over wins every time.
--- End quote ---

I have cats.  Over loses sometimes.

-mrainey (April 29, 2011, 08:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha~! :D

Nicely put~!

Kamel:
While I certainly prefer over, I did want to point out a time when I prefer under that hasn't been listed.

When in a commercial restroom with the half-ply toilet paper which has jagged edges around each side to 'easily rip' the toilet paper (even though you have to treat it like a paper thin sheet of gold ready protect a satellite preparing to orbit to keep it from ripping while unrolling), under is far superior so that your job of getting more than half of a sheet of toilet paper is sufficient.

Also, I have on a couple of occasions found my toilet paper unraveled for unknown reasons. I still haven't quite figured it out, but the problem seems to be tied to the density of said toilet paper (ie fluffy soft toilet paper not at as high of risk).

Ultimately, it doesn't bother me so much that I'll change the paper orientation or even pay attention to the orientation when installing new toilet paper, but do prefer over.

On a final note, if you own a business and get toilet paper that is so cheap it rips by the pressure required to remove the said toilet paper, just remember this. Those are the places that I make sure i have enough toilet paper to make a paper mache basket ball before i commence wiping. There are 2 reasons, first reason is a protest for the retarded notion this will save any money, and the second is because the paper is so thin i can't trust it so must use only large quantities.

Renegade:
On a final note, if you own a business and get toilet paper that is so cheap it rips by the pressure required to remove the said toilet paper, just remember this. Those are the places that I make sure i have enough toilet paper to make a paper mache basket ball before i commence wiping. There are 2 reasons, first reason is a protest for the retarded notion this will save any money, and the second is because the paper is so thin i can't trust it so must use only large quantities.
-Kamel (April 29, 2011, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

I hate that kind of TP. It's simply useless. And you do need a huge amount of it to avoid looking like a 5-year old making mud pies. And it's like wiping with sandpaper. Nasty stuff.

I like the 3-ply stuff.

I once found some nice aloe vera 3-ply stuff that was like wiping your butt with a silky cloud. Super soft and very nice. I've not been able to find it since though... :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version