ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading List

<< < (7/8) > >>

iphigenie:
How much time have you got? avid fiction reader here - I cant even keep my librarything up to date... http://www.librarything.com/catalog/iphigenie

As for the Hugo/Nebula list, It is rather scary, I have read most of them  :o

sazzen:
When a fantasy writer meets the web:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/11/110411fa_fact_miller?currentPage=all

George R. R. Martin has now sold more than fifteen million books worldwide, and his readership will likely multiply exponentially after the launch, this month, of “Game of Thrones,” a lavish HBO series based on “A Song of Ice and Fire.” He is committed to nurturing his audience, no matter how vast it gets. “It behooves a writer to be good to his fans,” he says. Still, a close relationship with one’s audience has its drawbacks. As Martin puts it, “The more readers you have, the harder it is to keep up, and then you can’t get any writing done.”
-zridling (April 27, 2011, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Still -- I wish he'd finish that book. And, I hope it's the last of the series because I doubt I'll live long enough for him to finish another.  It's hardly "nursing" his audience when he leave us hanging for years, and years. If he's too busy because of his fans, he can move in with me and I'll protect him from them until he gets that  $#?&  book done!

phitsc:
When a fantasy writer meets the web:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/11/110411fa_fact_miller?currentPage=all

George R. R. Martin has now sold more than fifteen million books worldwide, and his readership will likely multiply exponentially after the launch, this month, of “Game of Thrones,” a lavish HBO series based on “A Song of Ice and Fire.” He is committed to nurturing his audience, no matter how vast it gets. “It behooves a writer to be good to his fans,” he says. Still, a close relationship with one’s audience has its drawbacks. As Martin puts it, “The more readers you have, the harder it is to keep up, and then you can’t get any writing done.”
-zridling (April 27, 2011, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Still -- I wish he'd finish that book. And, I hope it's the last of the series because I doubt I'll live long enough for him to finish another.  It's hardly "nursing" his audience when he leave us hanging for years, and years. If he's too busy because of his fans, he can move in with me and I'll protect him from them until he gets that  $#?&  book done!
-sazzen (May 13, 2011, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is your real name Annie Wilkes by any chance ;)

40hz:
For a more modern (very) short story with a deep impact, I would recommend Ursula le Guin's The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas, the Hugo award winner of 1974.
-JennyB (May 02, 2011, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Truly awesome short story  :Thmbsup: with disturbing similarities to our own global economic system. One where the populations of western 'democracies' do their best to remain entirely unaware of how much their own prosperity and happiness gets "paid for" by having people in other places be forced to live in abject squalor and misery.

Something to think about next time you buy that bargain priced toy or bit of sporting equipment with a "Made in XXX" tag on it.

tjbray:
For anyone looking to purchase any of these or other books, I've found the best prices on Bookfinder.com .  I don't have any affiliation with the site, just tossing it out there for those who are interested...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version