ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading List

<< < (5/8) > >>

kyrathaba:
A Voyage to Arcturus - David Lindsay

+1. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1329
--- End quote ---

Also, the Kindle edition is free.

rjbull:
A Voyage to Arcturus - David Lindsay
-joiwind (April 29, 2011, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent recommendation! :Thmbsup: One of the best lesser known sci-fi fantasy novels out there. Thought it was better than C.S.Lewis' Silent Planet Trilogy even though it shared some similar concepts and themes. 
-40hz (April 29, 2011, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read A Voyage to Arcturus because I'd read an interview with C.S. Lewis, where he recommended it.  It seems to me, following Lewis, that it's not so much science fiction as philosophy fiction.  I didn't understand it, but though I read it only once, and many years ago, I've always remembered bits of it.  Especially the over-the-top names; Maskull, Nightspore, Sullenbode, and so on.

* Wikipedia page on David Lindsay (novelist)

* The Violet Apple.org.uk, dedicated to The Life and Works of David Lindsay

Renegade:
I read A Voyage to Arcturus because I'd read an interview with C.S. Lewis, where he recommended it.  It seems to me, following Lewis, that it's not so much science fiction as philosophy fiction. 
-rjbull (May 01, 2011, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

You've just elevated that book to a "must read" for me. I love Lewis (one of my absolute favorites, if not #1). He's brilliant. His apologetics are amazing. His essays are remarkable. A wonderful author for anyone to read, and if he recommends it, hey, it's got to have merit~! :)

cthorpe:
Not on the list, but the book I always recommend to SF fans is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  In case you didn't know, it is considered the first SF novel by many.  It's one of my all-time favs.

C

kyrathaba:
I love Lewis (one of my absolute favorites, if not #1). He's brilliant. His apologetics are amazing. His essays are remarkable. A wonderful author for anyone to read, and if he recommends it, hey, it's got to have merit~!
--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version