topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My beloved illustrated children's story about badgers (What was the name??)  (Read 16634 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, please help me remember the title/author/etc. of a book of badger stories I had when I was a kid.  I loved these stories and would read them regularly for years.  I don't remember anything.  Not the plot, not the author or title...nothing to really help.  All I can say is that I had this book in the 80's (probably late 80's).  The stories were heavily illustrated.  It's one of those illustrated books where the illustrations cover the entire page and the paragraphs are just layered over the images.

I did an initial search on google, and couldn't find it.  It's not the popular Wind in the Willows story.  The only way I'd recognize it is if I saw the illustrations.

One of the things that I remember was the elder badger.  There was an elder badger who wore spectacles, and he was a very kind, wise badger.  The stories were lovely and elegant.  In other words, they weren't hilarious or shocking or anything like that.  Very gentle, very loving stories.  I hope I can remember them.  Thanks!

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Elder Badger reminds me of "Uncle Bulgaria" from "Wombles of Wimbledon Green"

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Odyssey from River Bend", by Tom McGowen?
In a small village populated by various woodland animals, two raccoon children find a mysterious artefact belonging to "Those Who Were And Are No More", the mysterious beings who once ruled the world. An elder badger, upon studying the artefact, manages to pinpoint the location of the ancient city of Those Who Were And Are No More, and mounts an expedition there in the hope of gaining an understanding of their powers to help the village.

That's all Google would cough up that sounded remotely like it...

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sb

I guess joiwind's first link above is what you need.

Ska

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found it!!  I went to my parent's house, and I knew I had saved it in a box in the attic.  It's called:
Animal Bedtime Stories
by Lucy Kincaid

Clipboard Image (11).jpg
It's from England, not surprisingly.  I fucking loved these stories as a kid.  Man.  I read it so much that the hardcover had completely fallen off and all I have is the looseleaf papers on the inside.  Freaking awesome illustrations and just the most soothing stories you could imagine.  I am about to relive some pretty bitchin childhood memories.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I hate to tell you but Elder Badger is languishing in clink, thanks to some funny business with young Master Fox.

adarkstar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, first published in 1908?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Glad you found it. I know how frustrating it can be trying to remember a book title.

Re: reliving childhood memories

I wouldn't mind doing some of that myself. But the memories I'm most interested in came a bit later in my childhood. For instance, there was this one time when we were up in New Hampshire after second semester exams were over, and we were at this party where I met this girl (who was a dead ringer for Elizabeth Hurley right down to the smile and British accent!) and...um...yes...sorry...let's forget about that for the moment shall we?
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:17 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Maybe The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, first published in 1908?

he found the book! - but speaking of Wind in the Willows - I just got a copy lately,
so I could, as superboyac says "relive some pretty bitchin childhood memories" :D

I just love those illustrations by Shepard

3703002307_f437f5e5a5_b.jpgMy beloved illustrated children's story about badgers (What was the name??)

http://bibliodyssey....wind-in-willows.html
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Is that the same Mr. Shepard who 'helped' with the Winnie-the-Pooh illustrations? As in "Drawn by me and Mr. Shepard helped." according to Christopher Robin?  :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Is that the same Mr. Shepard who 'helped' with the Winnie-the-Pooh illustrations? As in "Drawn by me and Mr. Shepard helped." according to Christopher Robin?  :)
Yup.  Same guy.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Glad you found it. I know how frustrating it can be trying to remember a book title.

I wouldn't mind doing some of that myself. But the memories I'm most interested in came a bit later in my childhood. For instance, there was this one time when we were up in New Hampshire after second semester exams were over, and we were at this party where I met this girl (who was a dead ringer for Elizabeth Hurley right down to the smile and British accent!) and...um...yes...sorry...let's forget about that for the moment shall we?
 ;)

I think if we were at the same party, we'd be fighting for the same girl.  Don't forget!  Relish!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

;)

I think if we were at the same party, we'd be fighting for the same girl.  Don't forget!  Relish!

Absolutely. Relish indeed.

My GF also politely suggests pickles, honey, whipped cream, and any other "garnish" or fixin' you can think of while you're at it.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:58 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

;)

I think if we were at the same party, we'd be fighting for the same girl.  Don't forget!  Relish!

My GF also politely suggests pickles, honey, whipped cream, and any other "garnish" or fixin' you can think of while you're at it.   ;D
Ha!  Freaking words...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fans of "talking animal" stories might want to check out Kay Shapero's Furry pages.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

;)

I think if we were at the same party, we'd be fighting for the same girl.  Don't forget!  Relish!

My GF also politely suggests pickles, honey, whipped cream, and any other "garnish" or fixin' you can think of while you're at it.   ;D
Ha!  Freaking words...

And images!

EHurley. England Prevails!
hurley.jpg

;) ;D

P.S. Wouldn't have had to compete over that one. She arrived and left with her husband. The fact she was unavailable, however, did nothing to diminish her charm. Or my enjoyment of it. :Thmbsup:

(Sometimes all you get to do is look. Which is still not a bad thing when you think about it.  8) )
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:21 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
She's one of those perfect 10 women.  I remember her heydey in the 90's, nobody stood a chance. 

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Redwall series from Brian Jacques are some of my favourite 'talking animal' books.  Wonderful series.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This book doesn't seem to be readily available from retailers.  I've contacted a commercial scanner and I'm going to scan this to a pdf for preservation.  The authors and illustrators, Eric and Lucy Kincaid, are awesome.  I think what separates these stories form other similar stories to me are the soothing nature of them.  They are not really big, epic action/adventure stories.  Just nice little tales of friendly animals living in the woods.  It reminds me of the peaceful kind of lifestyle I'd like to live one day.