topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Xnview vs. IrfanView - integrity issue examined  (Read 58131 times)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Xnview vs. IrfanView - integrity issue examined
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Speaking of IrfanView, does it have good archive file support? XnView's is so-so at best (There are Explorer replacements like AcBrowser that can not only open archive files but give thumbnails previews of image inside but wondering about IrfanView)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 12:39 PM »
2rgdot
IV forum seems to be down.

AFAIR such feature was "no no" for a long time on Irfan's board with explanations that IV is not filemanager but viewer and there is no reason for supporting it. There were also some voices that it is stupid to keep images in archives (nvm trolls ;). It looked like no one knew about comics (CBZ, CBR) after all.

For now Google shows some archived posts from February that this is planned and author is working on implementation. Few months passed and nothing more has been posted since then :(

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2009, 01:31 PM »
@fenixproductions, thank you very much for the info.
I guess in some ways the lines between a filemanager and the likes of Irfanview are blurred, if it is as much about organizing existing images as it is working on them (resize, crop, etc.) then a filemanager can prove just as useful.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 02:33 AM »
I changed to Xnview because of the Directory Tree - which I prefer!  ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 02:34 PM »
For convenience I have Microsoft Office Picture Manager 2003 as default; it is by far the fastest to use when I need to crop or resize an image.

For me Imagine plugin plays such role but that's because I am Total Commander junkie ;)

EOT
-fenixproductions (May 29, 2009, 09:44 PM)

lets see, hmmm EOT, lol - end of transmission I guess?

I'm wondering does having the viewer as a plugin solve the problem that most (independent) viewers have of not following the sort order of the files in the file manager? -
I mean (e.g.):
if you sort by date the viewer will still work it's way through the images as though they were sorted by file name
Tom

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 02:51 PM »
2tomos
EOT - End of Topic or End Off-Topic.

I have too strong Usenet roots I can't get rid off ;)

Second thing: it does not solve sorting order problems but having it as Lister plugin I can, at least, limit images sets to marked entries only.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 02:57 PM by fenixproductions »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Second thing: it does not solve sorting order problems but having it as Lister plugin I can, at least, limit images sets to marked entries only.
-fenixproductions (May 31, 2009, 02:51 PM)

that's a bummer -
I'd love a filemanager with a decent associated/integrated viewer that would solve that problem.
Maybe I should ask in that filemanager thread
Tom

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 07:27 AM »
2tomos
The only thing you can do is to ask file manager author to add support for it. Plugins authors can do nothing because plugins know nothing about sorting. In most of the cases they get single file name only. Some plugins (Imagine) might have their own next/previous file features but they are not relying on filemanager at all in such case. The only improvement we can get is to have next/previous support in their "parent" (in TC: it is lister which calls plugs). And we're back to the beginning and bothering an author of our favourite file manager (TC, DO, XY and so on).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 08:57 AM »
And we're back to the beginning and bothering an author
-fenixproductions (June 01, 2009, 07:27 AM)

- that's what we do, around here   :D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 01:01 PM »
What many don't know is that while Imagine is a an exceptional plugin for Total Commander for image viewing the author has programmed it such that it can be used as a stand-alone image viewer. While in some ways it cannot yet beat some of IrfanView's and XnView's features in some ways some may prefer the Imagine way of doing things. It's still a young program, but the author is working very hard on its development.

The Imagine web site is http://www.nyam.pe.kr/ in case anyone's interested and again, it can be used stand-alone and does not require Total Commander in order to enjoy it.

EDIT: Imagine does have Unicode support for those who need it.

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 04:04 PM »
The quibbles between Irfan View and XnView are missing the point.  Both are great programs which I have used a lot and I have donated for IV.  Thanks is due to both developers - actually Microsoft should pay these guys. Without programs like theirs windows would be a lot less usable.
Nevertheless, both XnView and IrfanView are in way up to par with Faststone viewer when it comes usability and elegance -they are both still the faster loading programs and they support way more file formats. But with regard to ease of use and intuitive handling Faststone is having their lunch for several years already.

mysterix

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 09:43 AM »
... (for example: XnView has been stealing/cloning features and whole dialogs from IrfanView, for 7+ years).
-Steven Avery (April 23, 2008, 09:29 AM)

One thing XnView did not steal is the full Unicode support. XnView is wonderful in many ways, but I find it embarrassing how many file name characters it cannot handle. Characters that Microsoft and IrfanView will handle without any problems. Just one example: "ما ذكرفرحتن حتى من by _ ♥ ~ β@ЯβŸÄĦ ~ ♥ _.jpg" will not open in XnView. If I try to remove the problem-causing characters, one by one, I'll have to shorten the name to "by_@_.jpg"!!! >Western Only< may not be a problem to Americans etcetera, but to me it has been a problem a little too often.
 :down:

Edit: 'Latin' replaced with 'Western'.

By now, version MP of XnWiev has unicode support.