ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

[SORTED] Intelligent comparision of files (Compare by filename only, etc.)

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
@Abterix

I might have a look at scripts tomorrow, thanks for the tips :up:
(I'll definitely customise the shortcuts)

techidave:
I use ViceVersa Free for this type of thing.  Not sure if it will do quite what you want but perhaps the paid version will.

ViceVersaFree

tomos:
I use ViceVersa Free for this type of thing.  Not sure if it will do quite what you want but perhaps the paid version will.

ViceVersaFree
-techidave (April 25, 2011, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

thanks techidave - Don't think so though - like most sync software, it just compares: -
Three file comparison methods: file size & timestamp, CRC or both.
--- End quote ---

eh...
what exactly is CRC by the way ??
wikipedia wasnt any help. Seems to be a new buzzword, saw it related to FreeCommander sync as well, dont remember seeing it before...

Anyways, I'm now using XYplorer - with two custom shortcuts I can do this almost instantaneously = happy out :)

f0dder:
It's not a buzzword... CRCw it's technology, radical maaaan!

Basically it's a checksum that's designed to be fast & efficient to implement, while still being fairly good at detecting bit errors. It's not nearly as good at that as modern cryptographic hashes, but it was designed ages ago, and has been used for all sorts of communication stuff where a cryptographic hash would have required too much processing power back then... not to mention the algorithms hadn't been designed yet :)

IainB:
@f0dder: Yes, I started using CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) in about 1989/1990 - it was built into a superb DOS-based file manager called Lotus Magellan, and I used it in file comparisons and to check for changes to files by programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version