topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [SORTED] Intelligent comparision of files (Compare by filename only, etc.)  (Read 10055 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[edit] for more clarity, I could have titled this something like:
Compare files by filename - ignoring size & date & optionally ignoring file-extension

see reply #6 for solution [/edit]

I'm looking for software that does "Intelligent comparision of folder contents". It sounds like syncing, but what I'm comparing are folders with different versions of the same file, so I want to check have I created all the versions I think I have.

So lets say, in a dual pane setup: the left-side folder has 132 files, the right has 133.
These files have the same names (they are different versions of the same file) but are different sizes & dates. I want to find out which file is missing on the left.

One practical example - I am producing PDF's with, & without, fonts embedded. I want to make sure I havent missed any files - I can quickly see from the number count (as above) that one file is missing, but which one (!!)

The next step up would be to compare files, again with the same names, but with different extensions.
e.g. I want 133 files on the left in PDF format and 133 on the right in text format  - so the software that compares the files can be set to ignore the file extension, i.e. it's only comparing by the filename.

A quick search didnt bring up anything...
Tom
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:47 AM by tomos »

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Intelligent comparision of folder contents
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Apparently the highly regarded (but not free) BeyondCompare is able to do both things. This thread from their forum explains how:
http://www.scooterso...howthread.php?t=7350

Posts 1 to 6 in that thread cover your first requirement (ignoring sizes and dates), while posts 7 and 8 cover the second, and trickier, requirement (ignoring file extensions)

Hope it helps
I'll have what she's having

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:32 AM »
@tomos:
I perform this kind of "intelligent" comparison of folder contents on a regular basis, and it works exceedingly well, using xplorer² - from zabkat.com
You can try out xplorer² with a free download.

IMHO, as well as being a superb file manager/explorer, it is a brilliant archive/folder/file comparison tool.
It can even make a passable cup of coffee.
The functions you would need are:
"Synch Wizard"
"Synchronse panes" (F9) - this keeps you in synch with 2 folders displayed in 2 panes/"windows", and through nested folders within those as well (if the naming of nested folders is identical).
Ctrl-M (performs a version comparison on file size/date or other selected criteria, on each pane).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:40 AM by IainB »

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:13 AM »
There are some free and portable sync tools which you can use to just see the differences.
Did you need some hints: FreeFileSync, DiffMerge, ...

or WinMerge
WinMerge.PNG[SORTED] Intelligent comparision of files (Compare by filename only, etc.)

And if you use an file manager like Total Commander,

FreeCommander
FreeCommander_c30.png[SORTED] Intelligent comparision of files (Compare by filename only, etc.)

or XYplorer or... you can use that power to aid you.

For example i can use XYplorer to see files being only into one pane like:
menu "Panes > Sync Select..." to select some files
followed by
menu "View > Tab > Filter by Selection" to see only the selected files out of hundreds

XYplorer-DualPane-SyncSelect_001_c30.png[SORTED] Intelligent comparision of files (Compare by filename only, etc.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Apparently the highly regarded (but not free) BeyondCompare is able to do both things. This thread from their forum explains how:
http://www.scooterso...howthread.php?t=7350

Posts 1 to 6 in that thread cover your first requirement (ignoring sizes and dates), while posts 7 and 8 cover the second, and trickier, requirement (ignoring file extensions)

that helps a lot city_zen - thanks!
I just have to decide if it's worth $50 to me....

[edit] working my way through the others [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:14 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:24 AM »
@tomos:
I perform this kind of "intelligent" comparison of folder contents on a regular basis, and it works exceedingly well, using xplorer² - from zabkat.com
You can try out xplorer² with a free download.

IainB,
thanks for the suggestion of xplorer². I'm wondering can that compare files simply by filename - ignoring size and date, even (optionally) ignoring file-extension.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Abterix (hi!),
again, I'm not sure if these can ignore size and date:

I know that FreeFileSync cannot ignore the extension at any rate.
In a quick test, I see it will show which files are shown on one side and not on the other, but these are dispersed throughout the list, and I am unable to copy the filename or path which would make it easier for me to make a list of them. Similarly for FreeCommander.

XYplorer looks promising, but for some reason the Filter by Selections is greyed out. AHHH Okay  :D
I see now - I make my selection using menu: Panes >Sync Select (selects unique or same names, can also ignore file-extensions :up:) then Filter by Selection
That's it - SORTED :-*

I can end up displaying the unique files only and can ignore file extensions.
This very helpful when converting files of any type (e.g. converting music files to mp3) to check did you miss any ;)
Tom

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [SORTED] Intelligent comparision of folder contents
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Great it works!   :Thmbsup:

Note: you can assign an shortcut to "Filter by Selections" via  "Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts..." (Category 'View')
or create an own tool bar button with '#359;' as command. Example >> http://www.xyplorer....c.php?p=54756#p54756

--

If you want you can go an step further and do all work with an single step by using an script.

Dummy code:
sync("SelectNewer"); //select newer matches on the active pane
#359; //"Filter by Selections" command as found in "Tools > Keyboard Shortcuts..."

or
text sync("selectuniques", 1); //"text" shows uniques in text box

See XYplorer help > "Advanced > Scripting Command Reference"
If you need help by writing such an script just ask by mention what should happen exactly.

--

Such an script can be executed by an key press or by an menu button.
There is an collection about "How to execute an Script ?" hidden way down in that thread >>> http://www.xyplorer....c.php?p=47239#p47239
Just scroll down till ""How to execute an Script ?""

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:34 AM »
@tomos:
I'm wondering can that compare files simply by filename - ignoring size and date, even (optionally) ignoring file-extension.
I don't think it can - or at any rate, I've never used it in that way. It might be able to.
Sorry, I don't have time to play with it to find out right now.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:39 AM »
@tomos:
I'm wondering can that compare files simply by filename - ignoring size and date, even (optionally) ignoring file-extension.
I don't think it can - or at any rate, I've never used it in that way. It might be able to.
Sorry, I don't have time to play with it to find out right now.

no worries Iain - I'll stick with XY as I have a full copy of that, thanks!
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40 AM »
@Abterix

I might have a look at scripts tomorrow, thanks for the tips :up:
(I'll definitely customise the shortcuts)
Tom

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 07:04 PM »
I use ViceVersa Free for this type of thing.  Not sure if it will do quite what you want but perhaps the paid version will.

ViceVersaFree

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:44 AM »
I use ViceVersa Free for this type of thing.  Not sure if it will do quite what you want but perhaps the paid version will.

ViceVersaFree

thanks techidave - Don't think so though - like most sync software, it just compares: -
Three file comparison methods: file size & timestamp, CRC or both.

eh...
what exactly is CRC by the way ??
wikipedia wasnt any help. Seems to be a new buzzword, saw it related to FreeCommander sync as well, dont remember seeing it before...

Anyways, I'm now using XYplorer - with two custom shortcuts I can do this almost instantaneously = happy out :)
Tom

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48 AM »
It's not a buzzword... CRCw it's technology, radical maaaan!

Basically it's a checksum that's designed to be fast & efficient to implement, while still being fairly good at detecting bit errors. It's not nearly as good at that as modern cryptographic hashes, but it was designed ages ago, and has been used for all sorts of communication stuff where a cryptographic hash would have required too much processing power back then... not to mention the algorithms hadn't been designed yet :)
- carpe noctem

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@f0dder: Yes, I started using CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) in about 1989/1990 - it was built into a superb DOS-based file manager called Lotus Magellan, and I used it in file comparisons and to check for changes to files by programs.