ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

I think we should close the Company Complaints and Compliments Section

<< < (8/12) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Oh just close it already lol

40hz:
I will just say that from what I've observed in discussion forums, whenever things like this start becoming issues, it's usually a bad sign.
-superboyac (April 21, 2011, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

If they remain unresolved, or are resolved in a manner that leaves too many feathers ruffled, it can be a bad thing.

But right now I think it's more an indication that DC has reached that stage where things are changing because DC is experiencing its own slow but inevitable change due to growth and exposure. With the outside attention being paid to the NANY event, DC is likely becoming viewed more and more as a "player."

When you add in the number of members, the number of posts, the fact that this site has been around for six plus years - and the huge success of the past two fundraisers - it's inevitable that many software businesses will be looking at DC more seriously than before. And also taking anything being said about their business at this site more seriously as well. Because it's become fairly obvious that a good number of people care about DC and what's being said there. As is evidenced by the fact DC hit it's contribution goal by a factor of 2 times plus.

If your products or service are being criticized on some quasi-anonymous "personal rant" blog, you don't worry too much. But when you get what you consider a knock at a place like DC, you know it's going to get read - and possibly quoted elsewhere. Including some of the big tech sites that seem to respect DC. Hence, a lot more "damage control" type posting can be anticipated as DC's visibility continues to increase.

Quite probably it will only be a matter of time before some company goes totally bonehead and threatens legal action for a comment posted here. It's happened in other places. And there have been a few hints (I'd hesitate to call them threats) of that already in a few threads here. And while any such misguided legal action will probably not be a real threat to this site, anybody who has ever received an attorney's letter (or had papers served on them) knows it's still a major hassle to deal with, regardless of the legal merits, or how it eventually plays out.

So can the much admired (and appreciated) laissez-faire approach DC's administrators take in the forums continue indefinitely? Possibly. But it becomes less probable as more people join in and the site's visibility and reputation grows. Because in some places, what's being said at DC is starting to matter.

And because of that more than anything else, things will (of necessity) start to change.

I could very well be wrong about all of this.

But it's something to think about anyway.  :huh:

-Stephen66515 (April 21, 2011, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I might not see the LOL part in it. But I think I'm pretty much in agreement with the rest of Stephen's comment to wit: "...just close it already."

:)

KynloStephen66515:
--- End quote ---

I might not see the LOL part in it. But I think I'm pretty much in agreement with the rest of Stephen's comment to wit: "...just close it already."

:)

-40hz (April 21, 2011, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

The "lol" was mainly because I didn't feel like this matter needed as much discussion as it has received.  Closing it now would be the fastest and simplest approach to things.  DC is not about complaining about 3rd party companies, its about Creating custom software, and donationware and being open to the public.  Rants and Complaints can go to other forums...If required, i'm sure someone on DC would be willing to set one up   8)

jgpaiva:
But having a section for complaints seems to imply we need to have something to complain about, and that is a suggestion that tends to make people look for things to complain about, even when they normally might not
--- End quote ---

really excellent point.
-mouser (April 21, 2011, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1

Also, the "General Software Discussion" is under the "Reviews and Recommendations" board, so I find it perfectly reasonable that people post the review (positive or not) of their experience with companies there.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---

-40hz (April 21, 2011, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Truthfully, I'm in agreement.  There has to be a decision made, and done with.  We won't all agree... but people rarely do.  An opinion had been formed, and personally I'm ok with it; governing by committee rarely works, and by community even less.  It's nice to be consulted, but I think in a lot of cases it bogs things down unnecessarily, especially since in a lot of cases its just going through the motions because point in which there isn't a majority agreement has to in the end be decided on.  Mouser isn't the dictatorial leader even though it's his board- so I'm personally ok with just making a decision and being done with it in cases like this.  Transparency in decision making is a different thing IMO than decision by committee, so an open letter why the section was closing and then the closure would have been enough... and would be enough in the future.  Just my  :two:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version