ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

I think we should close the Company Complaints and Compliments Section

<< < (6/12) > >>

mouser:
then it increases the possibility of spam not decrease it.
--- End quote ---

Yeah thats why i say lets just so away with that special section -- whether its dedicated to compliments or complaints or both, it just attracts spam and animosity.  and while there is definitely some good that come out of warning people about bad practices or praising good ones -- we don't have the resources or temperament to do the objective behind the scenes work to verify claims that would make such a section truly valuable and trusted.

i think that's the clincher for me.  if one really wantes to have a forum devoted to complaints and compliments, i think maybe you have an obligation to police that section very rigorously and investigate claims and try to do some due diligence in identifying posts as unrepresentative.

wraith808:
A good indicator - has there been a proliferation of these types of threads since it was opened?  Has it created more animosity?  I haven't noticed that it was so- there's always that element, and there's always going to be that sort of element around as long as it's not policed, but the discussion has gone on no matter where the location.  It does give more of a 'target' for such threads to consolidate them, but I don't think direct causation can be established.

cyberdiva:
Yeah thats why i say lets just so away with that special section -- whether its dedicated to compliments or complaints or both, it just attracts spam and animosity.  and while there is definitely some good that come out of warning people about bad practices or praising good ones -- we don't have the resources or temperament to do the objective behind the scenes work to verify claims that would make such a section truly valuable and trusted.
-mouser (April 21, 2011, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Mouser, I think I agree with your arguments for closing down the section.  However, I doubt that closing it down will end the uncivil exchanges of messages that have taken place recently both in that section and in at least one other.  I think the problem (at least the current one) has more to do with one software developer who goes on the offensive whenever his company's software is mentioned in anything less than glowing terms.  He is relentless, apparently feeling some obsessive need to respond over and over and over again.  His extreme defensiveness makes it hard to have a civil, productive discussion of his software.

Josh:
I am with cyberdiva. I, for one, am sick of reading replies (attacks) by this author. It is because of this that I have vowed to NEVER install their product nor recommend it to anyone as a possible suggested solution should they require it.

Close it down if you like, but this author will be back in other threads, elsewhere on the forums, and it will continue until the administration takes action. I am all for free speech, but when doco members are blatently attacked every time product X or competing product Y is mentioned, that is not conducive to the atmosphere which once attracted me to DC. We seem to be taking a very lax approach to some of the more abrupt and intrusive users and it is detracting from my experience, and I am sure the experience of others.

Closing this section will not stop this trend, and like said above at least confines it to one area now. The threads will spill over to other sections and will continue.

wraith808:
^ /signed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version