ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

The Yii PHP Framework

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
CodeIgniter and Yii are similar PHP frameworks, and they are both excellent starting points for custom projects.

justice:
Hey mouser if you define the database in Yii, that makes it possible to version control your database schema right? Can you define database migrations with it like rake on RoR? Is it right you need commandline access to start a project?

mouser:
Is it right you need commandline access to start a project?
--- End quote ---
you would only need commandline access to use the feature that builds a new project directory for you, but this is 100% optional and not very important. you can easily make your own new application directory structure manually.

as far as version controlling database schema.. yii wont create database tables for you automatically, so in as much as their is a database schema it is all in your class code.  though take my comments on this with a grain of salt because this is an area i don't know much about.

mouser:
Quick update:
I've spent the last couple of weeks now coding a large project in Yii, and have had a real opportunity to put it through its paces doing some slightly unusual stuff.  My initial positive reactions have only intensified, which is rare for me.  Yii epitomizes the notion of making it everywhere easy to do the common things, and possible to do the uncommon things.  Definitely two big thumbs up from me.

mouser:
One important caution to add about yii:

It has a very powerful and elegant ActiveRecord class that makes it convenient to grab database records in an object oriented way, and work with them in a very convenient high-level fashion.

However it's very hard to know how badly this will impact performance (memory and cpu) when dealing with large amounts of data.

Now there is nothing to stop you from doing low level efficient manual database querying, so you can always drop down to that when you need it.. Yii does use some fancy lazy-loading functionality which an be helpful -- but again it makes it hard to know how many queries are happening behind the scenes, etc.

In short -- if you are not working with large datasets, you are really going to benefit from these features.. But if you are, you may have to be careful about relying upon them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version