ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Google Go

<< < (8/8)

Renegade:
I really wish people would stop screwing around and being complete friggin' idiots developing new languages that nobody wants or needs.

For Christmas sakes already!!!

Just let's all stick with this language and be DONE with it~! ;D

40hz:
I really wish people would stop screwing around and being complete friggin' idiots developing new languages that nobody wants or needs.
-Renegade (July 23, 2011, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

What? And deprive our Renegade of so many ranting opportunities? :P

(Kidding! :) )

Google Go

-------

Love that link BTW.  :Thmbsup:

When I was in college I took a CS language course where we had to design and build a simple interpreter for our own computer language. (Note: I discovered the real challenge is getting the parser right.) My language was called TWIT. (That's What I Thought). Most of the system responses were slangy "laid back" expressions which were intended to be amusing.

My professor (formerly of SperryRand) was not amused. Despite the fact it worked, I still got a C+. (Lowest grade I ever got in my entire academic career. Bummer!) His note under the grade said: You would have gotten an B+ or maybe an A- had you taken my assignment more seriously!!!

"Old-guard" college professors! Jeez...:-\ ;D

Used to think it was just an academic exercise since we "pros" all knew that interpreters were for babies. Real serious production code was COMPILED! Or so I thought until people started doing things like Perl, pHp, and Python - and started making some serious money off them.

Hindsight's always 20-20 right?

Onward! :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Love that link BTW.  :Thmbsup:
-40hz (July 23, 2011, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought someone would get a laugh out of that 'rant'. :)

When I was in college I took a CS language course where we had to design and build a simple interpreter for our own computer language. (Note: I discovered the real challenge is getting the parser right.) My language was called TWIT. (That's What I Thought). Most of the system responses were slangy "laid back" expressions which were intended to be amusing.

My professor (formerly of SperryRand) was not amused. Despite the fact it worked, I still got a C+. (Lowest grade I ever got in my entire academic career. Bummer!) His note under the grade said: You would have gotten an B+ or maybe an A- had you taken my assignment more seriously!!!

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a profoundly unhappy person. You'd think that a normal person would appreciate the creativity and thought put into that.

40hz:

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a profoundly unhappy person. You'd think that a normal person would appreciate the creativity and thought put into that.

-Renegade (July 23, 2011, 09:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dunno. Seemed like a pretty happy guy. Quite pleased with himself actually...

But what can you expect from somebody who went back to this era of computer geekhood:

White shirt, skinny black necktie, pocket-protector (for staff), MontBlanc fountain pen (for managers)...his idea of daring was not wearing a tie to work. He was the classic "computer person" if ever there was one. I'd swear they based the stereotype on him. ;D

He also wore his hair in a truly demonic 50's era flat-top:

(this is not him BTW although this guy could pass as his twin)

when the norm for hair was more like this...

(this is not us either)

But he actually wasn't a bad guy. Damn good instructor. Knew his stuff inside out - and could actually teach it. (That's a pretty rare talent based on my experience at college.)

It's just he had absolutely no sense of humor when it came to programming. I guess it was something that was very important to him.

I was saddened when I read of his passing away some years ago. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version