ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone here using a standing desk?

<< < (20/23) > >>

Stoic Joker:
study author Melvyn Hillsdon of the University of Exeter said in a statement. "Any stationary posture where energy expenditure is low may be detrimental to health, be it sitting or standing." -The Article
--- End quote ---

They had to do an entire study just to figure that out??

IainB:
study author Melvyn Hillsdon of the University of Exeter said in a statement. "Any stationary posture where energy expenditure is low may be detrimental to health, be it sitting or standing." -The Article
--- End quote ---

They had to do an entire study just to figure that out??
-Stoic Joker (October 15, 2015, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

They arguably haven't "figured out" anything if they have to use the qualifier "may". For example, who knows but that pigs may have wings, one day?
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that any university that publishes supposedly epidemiological research of questionable use/quality may be more concerned with attracting funding than with adding to the body of useful human knowledge, but I couldn't possibly comment.

In any event, I would suggest that such research is probably irrelevant, and that the only research that made (and still makes) standing desks a no-brainer for management is likely to be that accounting "research" which could demonstrate indisputably that standing desks:

* require a lower area of floor space per employee, which enables higher density packing, which reduces the average fixed costs (rent and rates based on square footage of occupancy), thus enabling a higher average profit per employee to be achieved.

* enable reduced/minimised office set-up, downsizing/upsizing or relocation costs, and reduced/minimised downtime associated with same, compared to conventional offices.
There's no doubt that, for some people, the ergonomics of sitting versus standing will have different effects depending on their peculiar musculo-skeletal geometry/health - e.g., the guy who said he has eliminated his back pain by using a standing desk. You could examine this sort of difference by (say) sitting on a big ball instead of a chair (it can be very comfortable and encourages the spine to line up into near-perfect posture when thus seated).

However, this guy seems to be onto something entirely new: Effect of One-Legged Standing on Sleep.    :o

Stoic Joker:
Surprisingly through answer for a wise crack (mine that is).

Some people (not me, you understand) might say that any university that publishes supposedly epidemiological research of questionable use/quality may be more concerned with attracting funding than with adding to the body of useful human knowledge, but I couldn't possibly comment.-IainB (October 17, 2015, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do like the ball idea though. I've thought of trying it...(waistline has been better)...but just haven't managed to commit to it yet.

JavaJones:
I've got a standing desk and I find it best to mix sitting and standing throughout the day. Which is why I think the only good standing desk options are the convertible/adjustable ones, and especially the motorized ones. I was lucky enough to find one at a great discount on Craig's List ($200 for a nearly brand new $1000 desk). I'd have a hard time justifying the full price, admittedly, but I do find the mixed sit/stand throughout the day feels better for me in general.

- Oshyan

wraith808:
Reviving this topic rather than creating a new one: 

I've gotten into the Standing Desk since I've been at home.  I posted my setup on Gadget Weekends, but will replicate it here.

I've purchased a few things recently, and figured I'd put them in one post.

First, I purchased a rather simple stand that I now have four of- it was so cheap and so useful and so easy to use, I had to buy a couple for my wife.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B6BG38/

The next two are semi-related:

I've been using a logitech headset for my meetings at work, and wanted something with better wireless and better fidelity, so I purchased a Sennheiser RS185: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOT9G1W

It's great!  The most I've ever spent on headphones, but the $70 difference between the logitech when they first came out to the sennheiser really sold me on the fact that yes, audio gear gets better as you spend more.

But I needed a microphone.  I initially was trying to make it a headset, using the antlion modmic: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R98JVVU/

It was ok, but annoying.  From finding the mute switch when in meetings, to adjusting the mic (it uses rare earth magnets to attach it to the base on the headphones- really cool idea, not so good in practice), and of course adhering to the headphones was touch and go.

So I decided to just go with a full microphone, and it was the best decision ever!

I purchased the Blue Yeti Blackout Edition: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1YPXW2/

People say it's like I'm in the room with them.  The little blinking light for the mute is always visible, and easy to cancel with just a button press.  It's great!  The only thing is having two audio devices, sometimes skype will reset to using the Blue Yeti as the default device for audio also.  But that's just a minor annoyance, and I think it's skype more than anything else.

Those two together are a bit more expensive than I ever thought I'd get to for a sound setup, but it's definitely made work meetings from home more bearable.

The last things were the Stand Steady standing desk surface- https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXOGHQI and the ErgoTech freedom arm- https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TYF0F4/

I've wanted to get a standing desk, but have resisted it.  I have a very good desk, and really didn't want to get another.  I thought of one of those ergodesk/vivodesk additions to the desktop that allow you to raise and lower, but still use your desk.  But they're pretty expensive too, and after trying it out, I'm not sure that it would work as well for me.

Then I thought, I have my laptop sitting there, and my desktop.  What if I made one a standing station, and the other my sitting station.  For a fraction of the price of even the ergodesk/vivodesk, I got an easy to use station, and the monitor raises and lowers on the laptop station, so I can bring it down easily- but honestly don't do it much; I just put the monitor in the highest position, and put my stand there next to it, and have pretty much left it that way.  I got a mat to go along with it (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJT547K/), and it really does seem to work to reduce stress, and I feel better, because sometimes I just want to stand up and stretch out the kinks.

-wraith808 (September 10, 2017, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Having two stations for me is the best arrangement.  When my Garmin Vivoactive says I need to move, I take a short walk, and then when I come back, I switch.  As I'm working on a remote computer anyway, I don't have to adjust between the two.  The standing setup doesn't have two monitors, but I've been questioning two monitors lately as I seem more productive and focused with one.

I have a terrible picture of my setup- it's rather difficult to get a good picture as there's a bookshelf behind the visible part, so I can't get any distance on the setup.

There are some changes, i.e. different keyboard, removed my server machine, added the yeti and sennheiser.  That's important because the Yeti has such good pickup, I can switch between stations without dealing with a boom mike, and having very good audiophile headphones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version