ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone here using a standing desk?

<< < (19/23) > >>

tomos:
I suspect these things depend on your posture and, if relevant, your reason for having back pain in the first place. I'd imagine that standing could help correct, or exacerbate a back problem, depending on what it is.

FWIW, standing gets me in the legs. After an hour or so I have to keep going up on my toes, after a couple of hours, I just want to put my feet up for the rest of the day.
Then again, I dont like sitting for too long either :-\ :)

This is making me think about my desk setup - think my monitor is too high for the way I sit...

Vurbal:
I couldn't work standing up now because of my bad knee. By bad I mean serious enough the doctor would have recommended replacement before my last surgery except I was only 26. I expect to finally have my first knee replacement either this year or next. If that alleviates my back problems I would seriously consider a standing desk.

barney:
I suspect these things depend on your posture and, if relevant, your reason for having back pain in the first place. I'd imagine that standing could help correct, or exacerbate a back problem, depending on what it is.-tomos (April 10, 2014, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Imagine no more  :-\.  As an old cripple, I have a fused hip.  It's fused fifteen (15) degrees forward and ten (10) degrees to the side.  As a result, I neither sit nor stand comfortably.  Drives me crazy when I read about proper posture anent discussions about sitting or standing while at a desk  :'(.  I've been able to use a slant board in the past for extended coding/reading sessions, but that's not a currently viable option  :(.  And sitting or standing for more than about twenty (20) minutes at a time aggravates lower spine (degenerative disk disease, lower five (5) vertebrae).

Not bitching about it, and this thread has been quite entertaining - almost comical at moments - but I stand/sit as a tribute to the phrase that not all things fit all people  :P :P.  (You should see my reaction(s) to most exercise commercials  ;D.)

paulobrabo:
Maybe it's since we're not perfectly healthy (who is?!)  that each of us should spend a lot of time and thought looking for an optimal solution for our own condition and way of working. The way we work is in the end the way we will (or wish) to be living in the foreseeable future.

There are no fit-all solutions, but there are paradigms that we should all weigh and examine deeply. The mind is weak, but the flesh wants to find a way!

Now that I think of it, in the early morning (before 6 a.m.) I do some writing lying down on my bed, using my netbook.  ;D For some of us a mix of different solutions will maybe work better than a single one. We humans are not known for not being complicated.  :-\

mouser:
Recent article:

"Now a large study undertaken by the University of Exeter and University College London and published in the International Journal of Epidemiology suggests that the problem isn't sitting, it's not getting enough exercise, and that standing (which may be more comfortable for some people in any event) doesn't help.."

--- End quote ---

http://boingboing.net/2015/10/15/sit-down-already-standing-des.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version