ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anyone here using a standing desk?

<< < (5/23) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Like mentioned moving about is good, your eyes too, every 20 minutes or so make sure your eyes are concentrated on something farther away for 30 seconds.
As far as standing all day it would probably kill my ankle.
-rgdot (April 20, 2011, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I try to take a 5 minute break every hour.  It does lessen my productivity (startup/wind down is definitely an issue), so I miss it sometimes, but continued health is more of a concern.-wraith808 (April 20, 2011, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm on a simular schedule, as I have to step out for a cigarette every few hours. I tend to use the time to collect and refocus my thoughts to avoid forest-for-the-trees type project hiccups. I'd even go so far as to say that close to 85% of the nagging issue break throughs occured out by the dumpster while I was having a smoke.

Stoic Joker:
I remember now, I would slide forwards - but my trousers would stay in the same place :o - not comfortable** :P
-tomos (April 21, 2011, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

First time I ran into one of those Swedish exercise balls was on a client site that used them at their desks. So I can indeed confirm said rather unpleasant phenomenon.

40hz:
Closest I've ever come is using a workbench or a drafting table for extended periods of time.

In the case of the workbench, I felt better at the end of the day than I normally would if I'd been sitting. The drafting table was more of a mixed experience. Maybe it felt a little better than sitting. But still not much, since I tended to lean whenever I was writing. So I think feeling better had more to do with all my moving around while at the workbench than it did with my not sitting at it.

Tried the exercise ball thing. Didn't like it. I couldn't get decent enough posture while trying to keep it where I wanted it. I also tend to roll slightly forward and back depending upon what I'm doing. (Closer in for most typing, further back for predominantly mousing tasks.)  After a while, my lower back started getting sore with the ball. (Somebody told me it worked better if you sorta bounced slightly while you were on it?) Also bought one of those "kneeling chairs" that used to be in vogue. I liked it. My back felt great. But my knees started aching after a few days. Stopped using the chair and the pain went away. Started using it again and the pain returned. In the end, I gave it to a friend and never looked back. Been using a good ergo-type chair ever since. No regrets on that score even though I'm painfully aware I sit in it far too many hours straight for my own good.

I'm gonna side with f0dder. I think he's right when he said regularly changing positions seems to do more than anything else.

And I'll also be the first to agree that just sitting all day is probably the worst thing you can do.

Hmm...maybe I should try a standing desk? They're easy enough to build...  :)

allen:
I'm on a simular schedule, as I have to step out for a cigarette every few hours. I tend to use the time to collect and refocus my thoughts to avoid forest-for-the-trees type project hiccups. I'd even go so far as to say that close to 85% of the nagging issue break throughs occured out by the dumpster while I was having a smoke.
-Stoic Joker (April 21, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm pretty sure since I quit smoking I've become a lousier programmer. Maybe it'll buy me some extra time, to make up for the decreased efficiency  ;D

Stoic Joker:
I'm on a similar schedule, as I have to step out for a cigarette every few hours. I tend to use the time to collect and refocus my thoughts to avoid forest-for-the-trees type project hiccups. I'd even go so far as to say that close to 85% of the nagging issue break throughs occurred out by the dumpster while I was having a smoke.
-Stoic Joker (April 21, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm pretty sure since I quit smoking I've become a lousier programmer. Maybe it'll buy me some extra time, to make up for the decreased efficiency  ;D-allen (April 21, 2011, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've thought about it...But mom told me quitters never win...  :D ...So I decided  (in the interest of balance) to just cut it down to a bit. I was at a pack a day, which turned into 2+ packs for long night high pressure projects. Now, after self imposing a no smoking in the house rule, I've been able to stretch a pack out to 3 days consistently for over a year now.

I do feel better now, and I haven't had the urge to disembowel a coworker with a letter opener just for saying hello...Which tended to be a frequent problem when I was down to 2 cigarettes a day (Stress has to be dealt with "properly"...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version