topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is Smilebox safe?  (Read 6567 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is Smilebox safe?
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:01 AM »
A few friends of mine use this Smilebox service:
http://www.smilebox.com/
recently acquired by hum... Incredimail:
http://www.imaging-r...NEWS/1312233180.html

I am weary about this Smilebox stuff since a friend recently caught a trojan of sorts.
My hunch (i could be wrong) is, she was invited to click on a link (via Smilebox?) and it got her.

Anyone have experience with this service?

I've read so much negative things about Incredimail, that anything that has to do with them i stay away from.

Is this negative attitude justified?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is Smilebox safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Is this negative attitude justified?

Yes, it is justified. All the negative stuff you have heard about Incredimail is true. Nasty, nasty stuff...a real slimeball company that will do anything for a buck.

And if Smilebox was recently acquired by them, no matter how nice Smilebox might be or might have been before, it's time to ditch it before they add their spyware to it.

I really don't know how good it was, but a quick Google search seems to indicate that it is "self-repairing" and can be difficult to get rid of, no uninstall options or the ones supplied do not work, and it changes your browser's start page to their site without asking permission.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:46 PM »
-wow, App, you seem to not trust Incredimail! hahaha.

Well, I had it installed on my machine some years ago and never had a problem - but times are achanging, so maybe you are right. About the other: On facebook, 364,968 people have clicked "Like" to Smilebox - but of course, the company might systematically be removing any complaints.

Incredimail sure is all about money, your money, but personally I trust them    a little.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Don’t know about anyone else, but I place no faith at all in Facebook "Likes" or opinions or surveys, etc. None, nada, nil, zilch...

After all, half of my family uses Facebook and responds to those things... the half that we don’t like to talk about!

Jim

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Don’t know about anyone else, but I place no faith at all in Facebook "Likes" or opinions or surveys, etc. None, nada, nil, zilch...

*f0dder likes this*
- carpe noctem