topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 11:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dropbox Chat Client  (Read 3264 times)

BillB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dropbox Chat Client
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Hi

Does anybody know of Windows(7) software which could act as a Chat client for Dropbox?  By which I mean, it monitors a designated file (txt, xml?) in Dropbox on your local drive, pops up a notification from the system tray when it is modified, and sequentially displays entries, with some form of ID (name) against each entry.

I would have thought that many such applications have been made over the years for use on networks.  In theory it ought to be a pretty simple program, but the only thing I have found so far is for Macs http://chatboxapp.com/

Suggestions welcome.  :)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dropbox Chat Client
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27 PM »
While possible, wouldn't it be simpler to use one of the already existing chat networks like irc, messenger, google/facebook chat?

BillB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Probably so, if I subscribed to any of them.  I try to minimise subscriptions and I am taken by ChatboxApp's promises:

•    Use it for commenting and annotating files OR for simple project collaboration around folders with relevant files inside!
  •    It works offline and syncs whenever you're next online.
  •    Chatbox stores everything inside Dropbox. You don't need to register another account.
  •    It is FREE! It is simple. It just works!

But thanks for the suggestion, it may prove to be the best option, particularly if its the only option!

Bill

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Interesting idea... I never have the time to follow through on these things, but if I do, I'll let you know.