topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PlayDead  (Read 13549 times)

kalvanotherwhen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PlayDead
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:57 AM »
I sometimes back up large files, and batch process large amounts of files,
I also try to perform other time consuming tasks such as downloads etc.

I would like my computer to play dead.

I would like it to appear off when I leave it.

I do not want anyone to turn it off because they think it is not being used. (or that they are saving the earth by turning off my PC when
they leave a gamesystem on for days even when not using it.)

I also do not want anyone to see what I am working on.

I would like to redirect the keyboard keys to avoid the use of the three finger salute (ctrl, alt, del).

It would be best if the keys were all dead/redirected (but the dead/alive hotkeys )

I would also like to kill the trac pad, though leaving the wireless mouse alone would be good.

I would like to mute all sound, and turn off the screen,
alternately I would like to be able to put up a Windows is updating wallpaper/screensaver to try and avoid people messing with my computer.

To use the windows is updating wallpaper it would be best if all desktop links were hidden.

Also if it is possible to send function keys I would like to send function key strokes: Fn F1 (turns off all lamps)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:02 AM by kalvanotherwhen »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PlayDead
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Could an electronic KVM switch be of any use?
The computer keeps running, unless someone presses the power button (which is unavoidable :'(), the screen stays empty, even when the mouse/keyboard are activated (moved/pressed), until you switch to the correct 'port' (A/B would be enough, AFAICS), and with a little luck that can be protected by a key-operated switch (did no research on that).

Turning off all leds could be impossible without tinkering with the BIOS, unless you have connections with mainboard manufacturers :P
The sound of the harddrives & fans, probably depending on the load of the system, would still reveal it's not off, though...
And then someone pulls the power-plug from the back of the powersupply :-\

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:18 AM »
I use a hand-drawn skull and crossbones and the text "Do not touch or else" on a piece of printer paper taped to the monitor.
The screen is then locked (Win+L) so the process continues in the background, but it doesn't display and only a valid login can 'unlock' it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:37 AM »
I may have a more efficient solution, if you have the lungs and the attitude to do it...

Imagine that you are in an extremely noisy environment but you very life is depending on the computer, and then...
"tell" her to keep off that machine!

!intellismile_025.gif !intellismile_093.gif !intellismile_094.gif !intellismile_102.gif !eusa_naughty.gif !icon_exclaim.gif

bhuiraj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:08 AM »
I use a hand-drawn skull and crossbones and the text "Do not touch or else" on a piece of printer paper taped to the monitor.
The screen is then locked (Win+L) so the process continues in the background, but it doesn't display and only a valid login can 'unlock' it.
I have found this to actually be a very effective solution.

bhuiraj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:10 AM »
I may have a more efficient solution, if you have the lungs and the attitude to do it...

Imagine that you are in an extremely noisy environment but you very life is depending on the computer, and then...
"tell" her to keep off that machine!

(see attachment in previous post)  (see attachment in previous post)  (see attachment in previous post)  (see attachment in previous post)  (see attachment in previous post)  (see attachment in previous post)

Why do you assume it's a "her"? :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:29 AM »
Because only a woman would be awesome enough to turn off your computer for you while it's "not in use" so you can save a few cents on the power bill. ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:49 PM by Deozaan, Reason: fixed spelling mistake »

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 01:37 PM »
tie an evil dog near your computer ^^ just kidding..

my idea is to mount your motherboard and other peripherals inside your cabinet and put a dummy PC casing, mouse and keyboard out..

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 03:20 AM »
I can think of tools that would disable all keys but a subset, but making the power button be ignored is not all that common (well, i would know how to on linux/bsd)...

In your specific circumstances I would think that a screensaver or tool that makes the computer look very busy might be a better scenario :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:23 AM by iphigenie »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Ooh, reverse psychology... Good call.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:03 PM »
In your specific circumstances I would think that a screensaver or tool that makes the computer look very busy might be a better scenario.
+1 - an ultra geeky screensaver with a mash up of real+fake data might actually be fun to make/watch.

A regular trick I've used with pesky kids: Start defrag, set the visualization to go fullscreen on both monitors so it looks really hardcore and industrial. "Games?!! Ha ha! You have NO idea how much data I'll lose if I stop this thing right now!"

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 08:32 PM »
How about this? (requires .NET) --> file attached as a zip

If you like it, I'll need to figure out how to disable Alt-tabbing, and the 3-fingered-salute.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 08:42 PM »
In your specific circumstances I would think that a screensaver or tool that makes the computer look very busy might be a better scenario.
+1 - an ultra geeky screensaver with a mash up of real+fake data might actually be fun to make/watch.

don't nirsoft do a BSOD screensaver?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:01 AM »
The problem is if someone walked by, they would still shut it down since it "Obviously" is broken and doesn't need to be on anyway!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:25 AM »
The problem is if someone walked by, they would still shut it down since it "Obviously" is broken and doesn't need to be on anyway!

of course they can recognise a crashed machine, just not a working one