ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Revitalizing the Reviews - Everyone Read in Please

<< < (9/9)

Hirudin:
Something else might be to define the status reviews by type and approximate number of words:

Mini-Review: 500 words or less, focused on discussion of one program, namely it's latest release;

Review: 1500 word article that reviews in significantly more detail a specific release of a single program;

Shootout or "Review of..." [Archive tools, Downloaders, etc.]: 4000+ word review of four or more of the leading tools within a category, rather than an exhaustive, kitchen sink approach, which can still be done, but is perhaps unnecessary.
-zridling (March 30, 2006, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I can safely count myself out of the "Shootout" category, but I would like to give a go at another mini-review or review or two. As I mentioned, I know a fair amount about "ripping" CDs and DVDs to use their content on your computer. I think I could do acceptible mini-reviews of ~4 pieces of software right now.

CoderMan:
This matches with my feeling that the Reviews are the single most critical aspect of DonationCoder to improve.
---
It's just a ton of work to do these reviews, pure and simple, and *most* people just aren't cut out for writing things like this.  It takes some discipline and love of detail, and real self-motivation.

-mouser (January 29, 2006, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
im not asking for commitments to once per month - in fact im not asking for any commitments at all, just trying to find some people who are interested in embarking on a journey to make our review section a real showcase for the site...-mouser (January 29, 2006, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've snipped until your quotes are tattered and in shreds, but the essence is intact. :)

Agreed, writing reviews takes a lot of work. They are, however, very useful when deciding what to download, whether a particular software could useful, a waste of time, or even damage a system.

I'd like to do this, and having you ease the level of commitment is reassuring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version