ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Deduplication, encryption, security and... Dropbox

<< < (4/16) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Just add periodic blocks of completely random machine code to you sensative documents. That way even if somebody does manage to successfully decrypt it, they'll still be left scratching their heads trying to figure out what they missed.

(jk - don't shoot me...:))

Armando:
I'm also concerned about it at a general honesty level, though.
-f0dder (April 15, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me too. Really, I don't see why I should trust them more than others.

Private data should be treated as such. And if "they" make it sound like nobody can access it apart from the user, it should be because it's impossible for them to do so. Not because they're nice people and we should trust them not to do so.

phitsc:
I raised my concerns directly with Dropbox and got the following response:

That article is both misleading and alarmist.

Please read our response to this. Thanks! http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=36365#post-310198

If you would like client-side encryption you'll need to use something like True Crypt. With server-side encryption it doesn't matter if we use your key our ours. Also, if you expect the files themselves to be encrypted using your actual password as the key then we'd have to re-encrypt all of your files every time you change your password. I don't believe any service offers that feature.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
--- End quote ---

Armando:
I don't find that their answers explains much... unfortunately.

phitsc:
I don't find that their answers explains much... unfortunately.
-Armando (April 15, 2011, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I don't find it in the least comforting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version