ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PhraseExpress v8, Pro Edition, on BdJ, Tuesday 12 April, 2011

<< < (4/9) > >>

bmms:
Thank you for your kind words about PhraseExpress and your support.

--

PhraseExpress v8 now introduced a dedicated Autostart option for those individuals who can't manually add/remove a link from the Windows Startup folder:

We invented so many bleeding edge technologies for PhraseExpress, such as the full sentence text-prediction and many other features, but apparently under-estimated such Autostart option.

Well, as someone who tries to have as few programs in my startup menu as possible and hates it when a program puts itself there without at least asking me if I want it there, I'm very sympathetic when other people have this complaint.
--- End quote ---

It's right there: http://screencast.com/t/rvqowNxkf5i

And with PE I had the added problem of its trying--and failing--to predict what I wanted to say.  That was one reason I eventually stopped using it.
--- End quote ---

If you don't need text auto-completions in a particular program, you can easily disable PhraseExpress features for individual programs.

Seems to me the two products [PhraseExpress / Auspex] are compatible, each with a particular usage that only sometimes overlaps the other.
--- End quote ---

Just curious: What do you miss in PhraseExpress what you think can only be accomplished with Auspex, please?

johnk:
The reason I made the point about auto-starting programs like PE, is that, unless you do, you never get full benefit from the program.

Using abbreviations has to become an instinct. Every time I type any personal details, or give standard replies to emails, or write a signature, or leave eBay feedback, or use a letterhead, or write a date, or start a program, or use a special character, or create an appointment in my diary, or minimise a window....I'm using a text abbreviation.

Programs like PE or Autohotkey are programs you have to commit to if they're really going to save you time. But once you do, you work in a different way. Every time you do something on a PC more than once, you ask yourself -- can I turn that into a text abbreviation?

The limit is really the number of abbreviations you can easily remember. If the abbreviations/hotkeys are sensible and intuitive, the number can be quite high...

cmpm:
If the abbreviations/hotkeys are sensible and intuitive, the number can be quite high...

--- End quote ---

Good point, and that would be for each individual.

PE is OK I suppose, a lot higher on resource usage than Auspex,
Auspex is more usable in my opinion because of it's ease of use.
More personable I think.
I only need my own auto complete and extras that Auspex can provide.
The number of abbreviations is of my own choosing and personal to me.
Most, so far, are not the standard acronyms but ones I relate to.

If I did a lot of typing daily, maybe PE would be more useful to me.
Or for some kind of business purpose.

I've tried it twice and removed it twice.

One program will not fill each persons requirements.

rjbull:
The limit is really the number of abbreviations you can easily remember. If the abbreviations/hotkeys are sensible and intuitive, the number can be quite high...-johnk (April 17, 2011, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Surely, it's better still to use a sensible system for abbreviations, which in conjunction with on-screen advisories (the list of possibles that pops up when you start typing), should help reach the target rapidly, however broad your needs are?  The only system I've tried is Jon Knowles' ABCZ Typing Abbreviation System, which worked well for me when I was using another abbreviation expander (Instant Text) to make current awareness bulletins and the like.

bmms:
Did you know that PhraseExpress can create ABCZ files from any source of plain text word lists?

Here is a video that illustrates how this is done:
http://screencast.com/t/P005a0nAP

Enjoy!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version