ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PhraseExpress v8, Pro Edition, on BdJ, Tuesday 12 April, 2011

<< < (6/9) > >>

bmms:
System Resources - as in Memory and CPU usage.
Are you just kidding around or just don't know what I'm speaking of?
I know what I'm talking about, I suspect the majority here do as well.-cmpm (April 20, 2011, 08:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

No offense intended at all. Please understand that I can't see from here whether you already know all that or not.

The following is not to convince you to switch. Keep what you like. I just would like to write more about system resources in general as system resource efficiency is actually one of our main software design requirements.

Measuring "memory consumption" sometimes is based on misconceptions. If you already know all this, please allow it for other readers:

The Windows task manager, for example, is not a suitable tool to measure memory load as it only shows the memory that is temporarily allocated by Windows for any launched program. It does not mean, that the program necessarily requires that allocated memory but it can use the memory quickly, if it should become required. If, however, another program requires more memory, it will be taken from the unnecessarily allocated memory. The actual programs have only very little influence in this procedure. It is managed by Windows.

In an ideal system all memory would be allocated and your task manager would show zero free RAM. Think about it: In theory, it is no good and would be waste if you have unused RAM at all.

So, if you find in task manager, that PE seem to take 100MB RAM in your system it doesn't mean that it is required by PE. It just does mean that Windows decided, that PE could quickly use 100MB if it would need it.

However, we took utmost care to minimize system load in general. That is why PE may look reduced or even "boring" for some at first. You won't find any fancy stuff such as gauges, statistics graphs or extensive use of graphics buttons in PE. It is because such gimmikry has only limited value. We are spartans  in this regard and hate waste of memory.

I posted the file sizes as this is somehow a good start to compare system loads: Programs require at least the memory of their own size when executed.

On top of that, programs require memory for linked libraries that are loaded with them. That is why programs such as .NET applications load so slowly. They have to load linked libraries of often multiple times of their size.

Then there is dynamic data for the actual user data and internal program tables required for the program operation.

I don't believe that PE uses so much more of that dynamic data unless you use the extra options that it has to offer.

For example, it requires (a little) extra memory to store formatted text but if you don't use it, the extra memory is not required. And most of the little additional CPU load is caused by the unique text prediction feature that analyszes your text input to automatically create new phrases based on your individual writing style.

If you turn off PE's extra features, it barely exceeds 0.5..1% CPU of a normal today's computer when used for plain text replacement. It should be very similar to other well-designed text replacement utilities.

If you come to another conclusion, I would be curious to learn how you measure it.

However, I agree with you up to a certain degree. PE is a mature application and does more things at startup and during data I/O operations. We believe, that you may like the reason as it increases data security and operation safety: PE creates auto-backups, scans the phrase file for integrity, uses a shadow copy method to save you from data loss in case of a power failure, etc. You may not need these security measures but other users store many thousands phrases with PE and rely on this data for doing business. These professional users welcome the extra measures that, yes, require a very small extra system load which is, however, barely measurable.

Hope this helps.

cmpm:
I didn't use windows task manger to observe PE and Auspex's resource usage.

The flood of words that follows that assumption is about PE.

And some misconceptions, or maybe redirection about my point.

bmms:
OK, your snarky and arrogant reply tells me that you are not interested to actually discuss but just rant. The usual business here.

Shades:
@CMPM:
BartelsMedia warns in the first paragraph of his post that explains the resource use of the product he represents that the content might be below your understanding and that you can disregard it as such.

To me it appears that BartelsMedia receives a lot of unnecessary "flak" for explaining some concepts regarding resource use and how those are handled by PE, the only application he is at professional liberty to write about. I can see nothing wrong in that.

Sure, sometimes the comments made by BartelsMedia are very pro-PE and anti-Rest, but I don't hold that against him. He gets (hopefully) paid to do so. As such I regard his comments on DoCo threads.

cmpm:
Thanks for the post Shades.

I really did not mean any malice to Michael or PE.
I try to stay even toned without any assumptions, and yet I'm called or accused of certain things as you see.

Anyone that can use Process Explorer and other tools, beyond the basics, can see what PE is using for it's resources and how much.

There was nothing 'snarky' (whatever that means) or arrogant in my posts. But an honest question and what I have checked out for myself.

Perhaps because of all the other comments it was taken that way.

I still am not bothered by any remarks, the net is a hard place to communicate sometimes.
Things get misunderstood in their intent.

Peace! Michael and all!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version