ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak - very nice people =)

<< < (3/15) > >>

wraith808:
I have Jungle Disk also but I am thinking of sending my files to Amazon S3 another way, perhaps via SFFS. Two problems I have with Jungle Disk: They can't seem to get a clean build out the first time around. Each time I updated there were problems that required a subsequent release to fix. Secondly, I have my S3 data storage mapped to a virtual drive on my PC but that is the only way I can view my files real time. If I use another S3 browser (E.g., Cloudberry Explorer) my data is encoded in a way that you can't browse it. If I use another upload method I will be able to see my data's file/folder hierarchy online.
-J-Mac (April 12, 2011, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't had that problem with Jungle Disk- and I use it on 7 different computers/OSes!  That would be a pain... what type of account are you using?  And you can use S3 in compatibility mode with Jungle Disk, though I just map my drive to my computer using Jungle Disk's facility.

http://help.jungledisk.com/Jungle%20Disk%20Knowledgebase/default.aspx?pageid=understanding_buckets

J-Mac:
Biggest problems were with the first 2.x release, and also the initial few 3.x releases. I would point you to their forum but unfortunately they "re-did" their forum, deleted a lot of threads and populated the bulk of the subforums with JD-Employees Only topics, kinda like FAQs.

I only use my old S3 "Legacy" buckets there; I don’t use their Rackspace online disks primarily because you cannot map a drive to the Rackspace disks and thus cannot restore files individually. If you have your JD backups on S3 try looking at them with one of the other S3 Explorers. You can't tell what is what.

My account was with the original Jungle Disk and I have my own S3 account rather than using a Jungle Disk managed S3 account.

Jim

wraith808:
I have my own S3 account also (I use it for other stuff), and mine was with the original JD (now Personal Desktop Edition).  I did create a new 'disk', but it was on my own account.  I use CloudBerry on S3 and see my files, so I'm not sure what the difference is- but it works.  I also use explorer to browse it also, and that works also.

I did find out that they're trying to decide 'what to do about perpetual accounts.'  I hope that isn't as ominous as it sounds.

J-Mac:
I have my own S3 account also (I use it for other stuff), and mine was with the original JD (now Personal Desktop Edition).  I did create a new 'disk', but it was on my own account.  I use CloudBerry on S3 and see my files, so I'm not sure what the difference is- but it works.  I also use explorer to browse it also, and that works also.-wraith808 (April 13, 2011, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... Cloudberry shows me this for my JD account on S3:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

And this for my mapped drive:

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

I did find out that they're trying to decide 'what to do about perpetual accounts.'  I hope that isn't as ominous as it sounds.

--- End quote ---

I heard something also. I'm sure it's not good - for us, anyway. Like "lifetime" licenses, these things never last.  :'(

Jim

wraith808:
I have my own S3 account also (I use it for other stuff), and mine was with the original JD (now Personal Desktop Edition).  I did create a new 'disk', but it was on my own account.  I use CloudBerry on S3 and see my files, so I'm not sure what the difference is- but it works.  I also use explorer to browse it also, and that works also.-wraith808 (April 13, 2011, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... Cloudberry shows me this for my JD account on S3:
 (see attachment in previous post)
And this for my mapped drive:
 (see attachment in previous post)
-J-Mac (April 13, 2011, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Then it's not S3 compatible.  I have two on S3 - one is compatible (it doesn't have as many features that way) and the other one isn't.  The differences in the naming of the buckets is even obvious...

I did find out that they're trying to decide 'what to do about perpetual accounts.'  I hope that isn't as ominous as it sounds.

--- End quote ---

I heard something also. I'm sure it's not good - for us, anyway. Like "lifetime" licenses, these things never last.  :'(
-J-Mac (April 13, 2011, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

You take a chance on them and pay a higher price to support the service- and when they become solvent, they forget who helped them get to that point.  And at this point, all they're providing me for free is the software.  I pay for the web interface.  And I pay amazon for my storage.  So I don't know how they could justify charging me a monthly fee for *that*.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version