ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak - very nice people =)

<< < (2/15) > >>

tomos:
Oh, and offer smaller plans. The free offering is a bit little for me, but OTOH I really don't need 100GB of storage. I can understand why they don't want to go into, say, per-gigabyte prices... But perhaps 10 or 25GB increments?
-f0dder (April 07, 2011, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 to that.
Dropbox is the same - no smaller plans. Mind you I see you get 100GB with spideroak & only 50GB with dropbox - both for $100
I'd be tempted by a 50GB SpiderOak plan...

iphigenie:
The thing I don't like about SpiderOak (the software) is that if you try to restore from a backup (after a format, for example), it will copy everything back to the original directory locations and doesn't give you an option to download the content to a different location.
-Deozaan (April 07, 2011, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I went and restored a whole bunch of settings etc. and it did ask me whether I wanted them in the original location or a folder of my chosing.

iphigenie:
another nice feature: command line - every action, configuration etc. you can do in the gui you can also do in the command line. Which means you can create stuff like "add this file to spideroak backup" context menus or in scripts. Or if for some reason the gui has problems you can go restore a file...

I don't know if others offer that too, but I have found it useful :)

I do find that the synchronisation is a bit inefficient, but as mentioned in this thread it is the price of encryption. I used to have some syncs but they caused me problems, but perhaps I should revisit that. Problem is the main things I want to sync are settings and saved games, so not 1 tree, but lots of little 2-3 file syncs

wraith808:
Oh, and offer smaller plans. The free offering is a bit little for me, but OTOH I really don't need 100GB of storage. I can understand why they don't want to go into, say, per-gigabyte prices... But perhaps 10 or 25GB increments?
-f0dder (April 07, 2011, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 to that.
Dropbox is the same - no smaller plans. Mind you I see you get 100GB with spideroak & only 50GB with dropbox - both for $100
I'd be tempted by a 50GB SpiderOak plan...
-tomos (April 08, 2011, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's one of the reasons I like JungleDisk so much.  I only get charged for what I use.  When I started, I was at an equivalent size to my dropbox (about 2GB) for a long time.  I'm now backing up stuff from my kids' and wife's computers, along with more of my own, so I'm up to 8GB now.  I didn't pay for 8GB when I had only 2, and now that I'm at 8, I'm not paying for my future possible use.

That's actually the core of it; it's sort of like hosting plans.  You pay for a maximum theoretical use, which I don't really enjoy.  Especially given that they don't allocate the space in a lot of cases until they actually need it.

J-Mac:
I have Jungle Disk also but I am thinking of sending my files to Amazon S3 another way, perhaps via SFFS. Two problems I have with Jungle Disk: They can't seem to get a clean build out the first time around. Each time I updated there were problems that required a subsequent release to fix. Secondly, I have my S3 data storage mapped to a virtual drive on my PC but that is the only way I can view my files real time. If I use another S3 browser (E.g., Cloudberry Explorer) my data is encoded in a way that you can't browse it. If I use another upload method I will be able to see my data's file/folder hierarchy online.

Spider Oak does look decent though. I was just looking at that last week. I might move from my Pro Dropbox account to SO.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version