ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak - very nice people =)

<< < (10/15) > >>

CleverCat:
I only found it by fishing around in the application...  ;)

Armando:
I mainly use spideroak/dropbox to
1- Access/retrieve  files from any internet-connected device.
2- Share folders
3- Preserve historical versions & deleted files
I don't really care too much about the syncing between computers at this point.

While it generally works well, except for some encryption formats (see other comments earlier) Spideroak is slower than Dropbox. (And, yes, it's probably not entirely fair to compare all options both offer... But in this case I think it is : I use Spideroak for what it should do best and I compare it to what Dropbox does very well too -- in terms of functionality, not security, of course.)

I don't want to stick with a company that doesn't tell the truth (i.e. : Dropbox), but... I can't fully switch to Spideroak yet if uploading a 20k file and being able to access it through my handheld sometimes takes more than 5 min (between the time the file is changed and the time it's finally accessible on my handheld).

Anybody else is seeing that kind of slowness ? With Dropbox, it's almost instantaneous.

Jibz:
I don't want to stick with a company that doesn't tell the truth (i.e. : Dropbox), but... I can't fully switch to Spideroak yet if uploading a 20k file and being able to access it through my handheld sometimes takes more than 5 min (between the time the file is changed and the time it's finally accessible on my handheld).

Anybody else is seeing that kind of slowness ? With Dropbox, it's almost instantaneous.
-Armando (May 16, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

The upload speeds have varied a lot for me. The other day I backed up 500 MB to SO and that took an entire afternoon which was abysmal. The network health bar was in the low end the entire time. Today 13 small files had changed, and the 5 MB upload took ~1 minute, and after that it was stuck on "finalizing" the upload for 50 minutes -- I guess the servers were not responding.

I really like SO and many of the design choices they have made. And the contact I have had with their support people has been great -- you actually get a human response from a qualified person who reads what you wrote (I know that should be the norm, but sadly that is a pleasant surprise these days). So I agree with the topic of this thread, they do seem to be very nice people :Thmbsup:.

It just somehow feels more rough around the edges when you compare it to CrashPlan as a backup service or DropBox/SugarSync as a share/sync service.

Btw, totally offtopic, anyone tried Wuala?

Armando:
Thanks Jibz.

and after that it was stuck on "finalizing" the upload for 50 minutes -- I guess the servers were not responding.
--- End quote ---

Exactly my experience.

And... we all know that it's always when one needs access to one's data now that everything slows down...  :)

Btw, totally offtopic, anyone tried Wuala?
--- End quote ---

I was actually considering wuala too -- looks like another nice alternative. Unfortunately, not enough time to test this one -- at least not for the next 2 weeks.

phitsc:
I'm still looking for a secure online backup service offering a client that runs on one of the current NASes. I've asked SpiderOak support if their Linux client would work on a QNAP or Synology NAS but unfortunately the answer was no (I guess that means someone would just have to try).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version