ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Clouddrive Sync Clients

(1/3) > >>

mahesh2k:
I'm sure you know about amazon's new cloud file backup service-clouddrive. It offers 5GB free for users and you can buy more capacity for less than the price of Amazon S3. Right now i'm looking for 3rd party sync clients to upload the files from my disk. Any suggestions ?

wraith808:
I'm sure you know about amazon's new cloud file backup service-clouddrive. It offers 5GB free for users and you can buy more capacity for less than the price of Amazon S3. Right now i'm looking for 3rd party sync clients to upload the files from my disk. Any suggestions ?
-mahesh2k (April 06, 2011, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

First a caveat: That 'more for less' depends on your usage.  You pay per year for clouddrive up front, and its tiered, while s3 is usage based and non-tiered.  

But as for an answer to your question, there is no API available for clouddrive yet.  There's been a lot of discussion about it on the Amazon boards, but no official responses.  People surmise it's because they don't want to eat their own lunch, though as I pointed out above, there are definite advantages to S3, and not just in pricing.  There's speculation that the clouddrive storage is on their Reduced Redundancy Storage servers.  The difference in reliability isn't that large, but it is a factor.  I use JungleDisk with standard S3 because of that fact.

UPDATE: From a thread on ghacks (http://www.ghacks.net/2011/03/29/amazon-cloud-drive-free-online-storage/) it appears that Gladinet will work with clouddrive.  I can't verify that, but I figured I'd put it here for a possibility.

mahesh2k:
First a caveat: That 'more for less' depends on your usage.  You pay per year for clouddrive up front, and its tiered, while s3 is usage based and non-tiered.
--- End quote ---

:up: Thanks wraith.

Renegade:
A friend of mine that works as an evangelist for Rackspace pointed this out to me:

http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/cloud_hosting_products/files/api/

It might be what you're looking for.

I had a look into it, and it's simply fantastic. They've partnered up with Akamai, and that means the fastest network on the planet with data replication world-wide.

I still need to look into the API itself, but from what I've seen on the surface, Rackspace has a very competitive offering versus Amazon S3.

wraith808:
I think that's based on the Jungle Disk acquisition.  I know with Jungle Disk I have the option to use RackSpace as it's now their parent company; I just chose S3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version