ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Instant Text V Pro - more than the usual features of a text expander

<< < (2/6) > >>

imtrobin:
I can't find a downloadable demo on their website so it's hard to see if it is really that good.

The nice thing about IntelliComplete is the autocompletes words from a dictionary as u type, so you can use it for everything by changing dictionaries. If not for some bugs, it is perfect. This instant V dictionary is seems to be geared towards technical professions only.

mouser:
instant text sounds quite good, but at $189 (ouch!!)

this may be a ripe category for a freeware/donationware alternative..  maybe harrie can tell us about what a perfect tool for this would look like, and try to think if there are any features that are missing in these tools that would be nice to have.

allen:
I can't find a downloadable demo on their website so it's hard to see if it is really that good.-imtrobin (March 05, 2006, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, it would appear you have to purchase it to test drive it, though it does come with a 30 day guarantee.   Little steep for a trial for someone who doesn't think they need such an application -- I guess I'm just a stickler for improving my typing speed :)

Harrie:
Imtrobin, thanks for the info.  It's also interesting to see that IntelliComplete has a multi-clipboard manager.  I didn't know that.  It also looks good in that they say it's "efficient in auto-typing non-English alphabets with circumflexes and accents. IntelliComplete reduces your typing labor in both your source language and target language."  That's a really good thing.  I know many text-substituting programs don't have that feature.

I also wish Instant Text had a downloadable demo, just because it makes it so easy to try programs.  But I respect their wish to go with the returnable CD.  Right now, I just do wish you all could try it!  <grin>

About the dictionaries, Imtrobin, I didn't go into this (and a lot of features), because of it being a mini-review and not certain how long I should go on, but Instant Text comes with many glossaries already available.  The nice thing is, they don't make you use them, which I appreciate personally.  (I know a program where that's it, it's default, and you are expected to want to use it.)  NOT!  Give me the choice of using it or not.  I like to put in my own words and phrases.  But many people love being able to instantly have medical-phrase glossaries already built in.  You can "include" all the glossaries you want, so that they are all available with your main one. 

Mouser - maybe at some future time I might want to do that.  I honestly can't picture one I could order up better than what I have now. 

I also didn't mention that the program let's you do "commands."  For instance, if you want a command to go back and put a hyphen in between two words, you just input the keyboard commands for same, then give it a shortcut name.  In fact, this is one of its best features and I should have put it in my mini-review.  It also has a "format" button which is nice.

Allen, you are right.  I think it's steep for those wanting such a program but not necessarily for speed galore.  If I were not a transcriptionist needing speed to make a good paycheck, I would not consider the price.  But at the same token, since I am one, I don't really consider it expensive at all.

One obvious thing to mention is that, I remember the days when my hands ached from typing everything out.  My hands haven't hurt in years now!  <grin>

rjbull:
instant text sounds quite good, but at $189 (ouch!!)

this may be a ripe category for a freeware/donationware alternative..
-mouser (March 05, 2006, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mouser, it occurred to me that FARR's interface is part-way there, but I'm not sure this class of program is popular enough to justify a lot of effort.  The more so as a number of free or cheap alternatives already exist, some of them listed in the abbreviations importer thread

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version