ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please kill me now - just bought an iPad off of eBay

<< < (13/19) > >>

superboyac:
If you're thinking of doing "work" with the ipad, forget it.  It's just a casual, portable device to have with you.  Check time, check email (not necessarily write email), browse the web, watch some videos, go on facebook.  Anything more than this sort of thing will be frustrating.

There are no workhorse tablets yet.  It's not the fault of Apple or Android, it's just that nobody is doing that yet.  I'm guessing once Microsoft starts going with this (Windows 8?), then we'll be really able to use tablets to do hardcore work.

wraith808:
I will be keeping the iPad - for the moment. Wraith is right that it has it's uses. Horses for courses and all that. I don't really need to keep it for testing websites as I've now worked out and resolved the issues I was having with a client's website. (For anyone interested, mobile Safari displays text at one zoom level in, but not on all text. I don't see any good reasons for this but you can prevent it with "-webkit-text-size-adjust: none;" and other stuff to avoid targetting Chrome. Mobile Safari also appears to be tempremental about background images - which is a case of just trying other background sizes, etc.)

I *think* my parents do find using the iPad easier than a netbook. They still accidentally hit the wrong things on screen but the use of gestures seems more intuitive for them than using a mouse/pad. I just need to get one of the better iPad browsers that do really work how you'd expect on an tablet - mobile Safari is pretty rubbish, i.e. where's the gesture for "back/forward"; pathetic.
-nudone (April 06, 2011, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try iCab Mobile.  That makes the browsing a lot better.  I also use Desktop at times (it allows a browser/app split screen... really cool), but iCab Mobile is my browser of choice (really wish it would allow you to change the default browser).

I like it for media consumption - I use it to read books and browse the web (and in my RPG game), but since I've purchased the clamcase, I also use it when writing my book.  The biggest pluses to me over other devices I have are battery life, single responsibility apps, and portability.  

I don't have to worry about charging it.  I've only had the charge run out once, and I charge it maybe once a week.  Bluetooth runs it out faster, which is why I found out that my clamcase makes me have to charge once every couple of days if I leave it on.

When I use an app, I'm using that app, and not shuffling windows.  It has made a big difference in my productivity when writing.

I carry it pretty much everywhere, either in the clamcase or just the device itself.  It's light enough that I don't worry about it, but large enough that I can actually use it.  I use it in addition to my desktop to view things that I would have had on paper or a book next to me.  Basically as a reference.

Placed in the right expectations, it's a home run for me.  The iPhone/iPod would be too small for what I'm using it for; this is the perfect form factor.  And I rarely use iTunes, so I experience that irritation only minimally.  I only use it to back up what's on my iPad.  Purchasing and everything else I do from the iPad itself.

I was as big a nay sayer as anyone else in the beginning.  But to me, it's been worth it.

If you're thinking of doing "work" with the ipad, forget it.  It's just a casual, portable device to have with you.  Check time, check email (not necessarily write email), browse the web, watch some videos, go on facebook.  Anything more than this sort of thing will be frustrating.

There are no workhorse tablets yet.  It's not the fault of Apple or Android, it's just that nobody is doing that yet.  I'm guessing once Microsoft starts going with this (Windows 8?), then we'll be really able to use tablets to do hardcore work.
-superboyac (April 06, 2011, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

The iPad by itself I'd agree.  But with the clamcase, it becomes a whole different story.  That's why I had such high hopes for the atrix.  But the reviews have said that it's not there.  But I love that idea- the ability to have one small device that has different 'personalities' based on desired usage would be great!

nudone:
Good tips, thanks. I know there will be ways to make it work - just would have been nice for Apple to have done something better with Safari, at the very least.

wraith808:
Good tips, thanks. I know there will be ways to make it work - just would have been nice for Apple to have done something better with Safari, at the very least.

-nudone (April 06, 2011, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I'd agree.  I'd also agree that there are definite issues- the word completion really drives me nuts at times.  But it's a well designed device IMO, that's limited to a large part by the closed minded nature of the parent company.  Most of the limitations of the device could be overcome by 3rd parties.  But even though I've jailbroken my iphone, I haven't done the same for the ipad, because in the end, it becomes more trouble than it's worth IMO with the whole jailbreak thing (and that's a large part because of the idiocy of Apple, also).

Kamel:
The ipad, for once, actually offers something not pre-existing. the small form factor of this tablet and fact that it's completely keyboardless was unique to the market. now there have been many ebook readers which try to emulate it but nothing of value so far. i'm still not buying with a $500 price tag though, give me a netbook for less than half that price any day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version