ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please kill me now - just bought an iPad off of eBay

<< < (12/19) > >>

Stoic Joker:
...Having survived the encounter with Satan, nudon's exorcism has been canceled.

wraith808:
I'm sorry to say, that I am completely underwhelmed by the iPad experience so far.

The only really satisfying thing about it is that it makes me feel absolutely justified in despising all things Apple.
-nudone (April 06, 2011, 02:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well if you sell, I'd say sell fast.  I think the prices are up only because the iPad 2 isn't actually in hands yet.  That's the only way I could see someone paying $400USD+ for something that costs $499 new for the next gen.

And if you still haven't sold in a month or so and are interested, in doing so, let me know... I'm planning on buying my wife one about then.  I know I enjoy it, and she does too... and it is uniquely suited for her business needs as a photographer (displaying some of the RAW images to her clients to let them choose which ones they want printed on the spot).  The netbook she purchased for that reason is a bit too much in the wrong form factor, but the iPad works for that brilliantly.

cranioscopical:
Navigation is crap, Safari is crap, iTunes is crap, the "intelligent" keyboard is crap, it's all crap. I know it's all crap because a team of designers, developers and engineers at Apple spent a long time on this device, but eventually made a machine that has so many flaws it resembles a first time project that a 16 year old design student would create - something their Lecturer would quickly browse over and then highlight all the fundamental flaws on its first use.

-nudone (April 06, 2011, 02:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

So you don't like it? More like pie in the sky pad?

Carol Haynes:
nudone on form as usual - you must have a contract for reselling your unwanted eBay purchases ;)

nudone:
heheheheh, all very amusing comments. And a perfect way to sum it up; it really is Satan's SkyPad. If only there could be a holy war against Apple, I would march towards Armageddon with a smile on my face.

But!..

I will be keeping the iPad - for the moment. Wraith is right that it has it's uses. Horses for courses and all that. I don't really need to keep it for testing websites as I've now worked out and resolved the issues I was having with a client's website. (For anyone interested, mobile Safari displays text at one zoom level in, but not on all text. I don't see any good reasons for this but you can prevent it with "-webkit-text-size-adjust: none;" and other stuff to avoid targetting Chrome. Mobile Safari also appears to be tempremental about background images - which is a case of just trying other background sizes, etc.)

I *think* my parents do find using the iPad easier than a netbook. They still accidentally hit the wrong things on screen but the use of gestures seems more intuitive for them than using a mouse/pad. I just need to get one of the better iPad browsers that do really work how you'd expect on an tablet - mobile Safari is pretty rubbish, i.e. where's the gesture for "back/forward"; pathetic.

Personally, I don't have a good use for a tablet device. I will use it, because the instant-on/off is cool. The portability is cool. Erm, that's about it. I could test mobile Safari websites on an iPod Touch 1st gen (I think), so I could sell the iPad and get an iPod for a fraction of the price. If the experiment with my parents using the iPad fails then I'll get rid of it - but may well replace it with a tablet that works how I expect a tablet to work (if there is such a thing, maybe in a few months there will be).

I've still a lot to try out with it. Maybe jailbreaking is the way to go. Or just find the right Apps that make it work like a proper tablet and not just an inflated iPhone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version