ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Parrot Riding a Car's Windshield Wipers

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
We have an 'infestation' of Monk Parakeets where I live. (Full story courtesy of the CT Audubon Society can be found here if anybody's interested.)

Big (12") birds! Electric green with unbelievably blue wingtips. Gorgeous creatures.

Looks much like what's on that guy's windshield.

Three comments:

1. Large parrots like this one usually have to have their wings clipped if they're to be kept as pets. This is done to help prevent the bird injuring itself when indoors. It doesn't cause any harm or distress to the bird. (This is according to my friend Penny, who is a licensed animal rescuer, used to work for Audobon, has a degree in this stuff, and owns parrots.)

2. I won't comment on the advisability of letting your parrot cling to a windshield wiper while driving. However, high winds don't seem to bother these guys all that much. When hurricane Gloria slammed into CT in 1985, there were bird carcasses all over the place when it was over.

But the big colony of monk parakeets in a tree at the top of my GF's street was intact with nary a casualty in sight. Watching out the window we could see these guys hunkered down and holding on in Category 3 through Category=1 winds that took down several trees plus all the power lines on her street.

3. From my own personal experiences with my friend Penny's parrots, I have to agree with nudone. If you do something to piss a parrot off, you'll know about it in short order. And they also seem to nurse grudges and figure ways to get some payback if you really upset them. So if that guy is able to get near that bird afterwards, I doubt it is upset about what went down. Knowing how crazy some parrots are, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this bird enjoyed it.

:)

Renegade:
I get those birds outside in the trees sometimes. They're en masse when they're there. It's so nice to have wildlife around like that. :) Not something I got in Seoul...

40hz:
^They do get a little loud at times.

But other than that minor niggle, I think they're great. :Thmbsup:

40hz:
I think Cody may need a friend when he gets back from his world tour.

Maybe a big green parrot named Syntax? ;D

wraith808:
^ This!  WIN!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version