ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Parrot Riding a Car's Windshield Wipers

<< < (4/6) > >>

mrainey:
Even with clipped wings, the bird could flap it's way off the car if it wanted to.  I don't see any particular signs of distress in its behavior, but do think the owner isn't hitting on all eight cylinders.

CWuestefeld:
Doesn't a bird normally experience high-velocity wind in its normal life in the wild? I don't know the speeds at which this kind parrot typically flies, but in the avian kindgom, birds flying at speeds equivalent to a car's highway speeds is pretty normal. Peregrine falcons dive at speeds over 200mph.

So I'm having trouble understanding how that bird would be either uncomfortable or scared.

tomos:
Doesn't a bird normally experience high-velocity wind in its normal life in the wild? I don't know the speeds at which this kind parrot typically flies, but in the avian kindgom, birds flying at speeds equivalent to a car's highway speeds is pretty normal. Peregrine falcons dive at speeds over 200mph. -CWuestefeld (March 31, 2011, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
It an interesting one -
I dont know how fast birds fly - but the ones that dive are built for it, and a parrot is not one of them!

now that I look - http://www.stanford.edu/group/stanfordbirds/text/essays/How_Fast.html
Generally birds follow the facetious advice often given to pilots -- "fly low and slow." Most cruise speeds are in the 20-to-30-mph range, with an eider duck having the fastest accurately clocked air speed of about 47 mph. During a chase, however, speeds increase; ducks, for example, can fly 60 mph or even faster
--- End quote ---
which (60m) isn't too far off of 100km, so sounds like you correct...

CWuestefeld:
....why would any animal stay in a location it considered stressful.-nudone (March 31, 2011, 03:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

... a nailgun.
-4wd (March 31, 2011, 04:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.

wraith808:
i can't disagree with anything nudone says -- which is why i started off my comment saying that i really don't know if the parrot was scared.  hey he's a bird it's possible he loved it.  but it's hard to know.

my comment was focused on the fact that the owner doesn't seem particularly interested in whether the bird is terrified or not, which is the red flag for me.

if he was sitting there saying: "i love my bird and i'm convinced he loves the ride" -- i wouldn't have a complaint.
-mouser (March 31, 2011, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

He does say that since the birds wings have been clipped and won't be able to feel the wind like it should if it was able to fly.  He also mentions the parrot's happiness a few times... so I think he does sort of address it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version