ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Parrot Riding a Car's Windshield Wipers

<< < (2/6) > >>

hamradio:
I don't condone him doing that, but looks like to me the parrot would fly away if it wasn't enjoying the ride because the parrot doesn't look like is attached to anything.

Renegade:
I think the parrots wings have been clipped. Not 100% sure, but it would make sense.

nudone:
[Disclaimer: I'm also a hypocrite as I don't like cruelty to animals (who would) but I'm more than happy for them to be slaughtered for my dinner plate. I am far to lazy to become vegetarian - and also like the taste of meat.]

Without fully understanding parrot psychology, it looks like the parrot isn't too distressed by the ride (and may be enjoying it):

1) Even if its wings are clipped, it doesn't appear to be stressed when perched on the wiper when the car is stationary. Assuming the parrot can remember the last high speed journey it made, riding the wiper, I'd expect it to jump off the wiper when the car is stationary - why would any animal stay in a location it considered stressful.

2) Anyone seen a dog stick its head out of a speeding car open window? The appear to love doing it. Why shouldn't a parrot be the same, why is there always an automatic assumption that the animal is in distress, the parrot might be absolutely thrilled by the speed.

3) The "expert" woman says that the parrot is clearly in distress because it doesn't move about on the wiper. Well, you wouldn't move about on the wiper when travelling at high speed because you want to keep your shape aerodynamic - the parrot has plenty of opportunity to jump off the wiper when the car is moving slower, and as we see at the end, the parrot gets, accidently, thrown of the wiper. It doesn't make a quick escape, instead it just stands there waiting for another ride.

4) If the parrot really hated the experience, wouldn't it be attacking it's owner to demonstrate how it felt. Instead I see quite a happy parrot with its owner.

5) The guy might not come across as that smart, but he seems to love his parrot. I think he'd realise if the parrot didn't seem happy about the whole thing. I doubt that one day he decided it was a good idea to take his parrot on a 60mph test drive - maybe a slow driver around the block for starters, and then faster runs as they progressed.

mouser:
i can't disagree with anything nudone says -- which is why i started off my comment saying that i really don't know if the parrot was scared.  hey he's a bird it's possible he loved it.  but it's hard to know.

my comment was focused on the fact that the owner doesn't seem particularly interested in whether the bird is terrified or not, which is the red flag for me.

if he was sitting there saying: "i love my bird and i'm convinced he loves the ride" -- i wouldn't have a complaint.

tomos:
I don't condone him doing that, but looks like to me the parrot would fly away if it wasn't enjoying the ride because the parrot doesn't look like is attached to anything.
-hamradio (March 31, 2011, 12:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think the parrots wings have been clipped. Not 100% sure, but it would make sense.
-Renegade (March 31, 2011, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

at 2:48 the presenter says "the bird's wings are missing" - sounds pretty extreme, maybe he just means clipped..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version