ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How do you know if an lcd is dieing?

<< < (3/3)

Ramirez:
This seems like a bad-caps problem. Not sure, of course.

I had a 2-year-old Fujitsu LCD that started to come to life longer and longer. In the end, it took about 15 minutes (only green led blinking) for the picture to appear. Then, it was all fine as long as I kept it on. Then I found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/FREE-17%22-LCD-Monitor---How-to-do-it%3f/

And voila. I replaced all capacitors (there were about 25, worth about 3 dollars altogether), and although it was a messy job (I'm not that good at soldering), the LCD was all well when I switched it on. The only problem is that I couldn't put the back cover on due to the taller capacitors I could buy. At least it will not overheat (the problem seems to be bad-design: too little space and the main board overheats and the caps dry-out, so they say).

Ramirez:
This seems like a bad-caps problem. Not sure, of course.

I had a 2-year-old Fujitsu LCD that started to come to life longer and longer. In the end, it took about 15 minutes (only green led blinking) for the picture to appear. Then, it was all fine as long as I kept it on. Then I found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/FREE-17%22-LCD-Monitor---How-to-do-it%3f/

And voila. I replaced all capacitors (there were about 25, worth about 3 dollars altogether), and although it was a messy job (I'm not that good at soldering), the LCD was all well when I switched it on. The only problem is that I couldn't put the back cover on due to the taller capacitors I could buy. At least it will not overheat (the problem seems to be bad-design: too little space and the main board overheats and the caps dry-out, so they say).

-Ramirez (March 06, 2009, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mind you, when the monitor miraculously came back to life (and now, 6 months later it is still OK), it made me wonder how many Fujitsu LCD's have ended up on scrapheaps around the world, that could have been saved by mere $3 (or better design)...

mouser:
I was really hoping someone would post some possible solutions!!  :up: :up: :up:
That's how we like to do things here -- post a problem and someone always seems smart enough and nice enough to come share a solution.  :-* :-* :-*
Thank you Ramirez.

Anyone else with a dead lcd care to try this and let us know how it goes?

Ramirez:
Just to let you know, that I came into possession of another of these crap Fujitsu-Siemens LCD's (model S7, I think) with the exact same symptoms, replaced caps and now it has been working as my wife's monitor for over a year now, without any problems. (The first one still works, too.)

iphigenie:
Interestingly enough yesterday R's LCD was looking a bit blurry on the fonts, then the next reboot it wouldnt come on. We just flicked back to the old spare for now, but the monitor in question is a fujitsu siemens so this thread popping up again is an odd coincidence. Will check if perhaps it is this problem  :Thmbsup:

edit: it is a fujitsu siemens screen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version