ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Not-so-mini review of CrashPlan backup software

<< < (12/12)

dr_andus:
I'm glad to hear the discount link is still working. Let us know what you think of iDrive once you have it up and running!
-JavaJones (February 29, 2016, 01:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Oshyan and all,

Having used it for a couple of months now, IDrive is proving to be perfect for my needs and wins hands-down over my previous service, Mozy Home, both on price and convenience.

My needs are fairly modest (backing up around 300GB once a day), and I don't restructure my folder hierarchy often, so repeated backups of my moved files is not a problem.

It takes about an hour for IDrive to scan through my internal and external hard drive (when it's plugged in), and it's gentle with the resources and the bandwidth, so I don't even notice when it's backing up stuff.

I like it that you don't have to have your external drive plugged in every time, IDrive just backs it up the next time it finds it. Mozy Home just used to delete the external drive backup when it couldn't find it!

Non-US first-time users of IDrive Express may want to keep in mind that there is an extra shipping cost for receiving and returning the Express drive for seeding the account with your data, and there may also be an extra import duty or VAT on it, which is silly, as you're not buying the drive, just borrowing it and then returning it, but, oh, well... It was still a good deal compared to other options.

All in all I'm very happy with the experience.

4wd:
Non-US first-time users of IDrive Express may want to keep in mind that there is an extra shipping cost for receiving and returning the Express drive for seeding the account with your data, and there may also be an extra import duty or VAT on it, which is silly, as you're not buying the drive, just borrowing it and then returning it, but, oh, well... It was still a good deal compared to other options.-dr_andus (May 02, 2016, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like they changed their terms since I mentioned them back here.

However, under item 7 of their current Hard Drive Shipment Agreement, (available on the iDrive Express order page in your account), you can ask for reimbursement:
7. You will be responsible for arranging shipping, handling, tracking and insuring the temporary storage device back to IDrive. Return shipping payment is available via a pre-paid shipping label for US customers. Non-US customers may need to pay return shipping fees, but can request reimbursement from IDrive. Reimbursement is not guaranteed. IDrive assumes no liability for a lost or damaged drive or for loss or breach of data during the return shipment process. You acknowledge that if you don't use the current version of IDrive application to backup your data to the device, it is possible that the data is possibly stored unencrypted on the hard drive and that no sensitive data is included.
--- End quote ---

Can't hurt to ask.

dr_andus:
However, under item 7 of their current Hard Drive Shipment Agreement, (available on the iDrive Express order page in your account), you can ask for reimbursement:
-4wd (May 02, 2016, 09:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I did.  :) Unfortunately, they no longer do that for international customers. But for some reason they haven't updated the Agreement. Either an oversight, or they're managing it on a case-by-case basis (i.e. they might refund it to Canadians who are nearby, but not to others farther afield).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version